Sexing Gymnetis thula (caseyi)

I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on Sexing Gymnetis thula, I just got 4 from Bugs in Cyber space and want to know how to sex them. Hopefully I will have a Male and Female in those 4, but I am not sure how to tell. 

BiCS sells them unsexed sadly. I wish he would have had more than 4 to increase my odds, but 4 was all he had :(. 

Look at abdomen and see if there is any vertical groove on the middle of it for adults. If there is one, that is a male, and if not, female.

In case of larvae, a small dot on abdomen near anus is present for males, while not for females. This, however, may be tricky (confusing) for small cetoniine species like Gymnetis.

On 7/28/2019 at 9:13 AM, JKim said:

Look at abdomen and see if there is any vertical groove on the middle of it for adults. If there is one, that is a male, and if not, female.

In case of larvae, a small dot on abdomen near anus is present for males, while not for females. This, however, may be tricky (confusing) for small cetoniine species like Gymnetis.

Cool thanks, I seen that suggested, didn't know if it applied to this species in particular. I checked 2 of my arrivals, niether had that line. So hopefully at least 2 are female, and already gravid I was only able to source 4 beetles so that made it worrisome.

Do you happen to know why the color variations? Of my 4, he had them split into 2 different cups. They had hit a shipping delay and arrived super dehydrated, 2 were very bright yellow, and 2 were blood red. The blood red ones quickly turned orange in a cup of substrate I put them while finishing up their viv. The yellow ones were mostly green by the time I got them in Viv. I know that color change is due to humidity, but why are some Red/Orange and others Yellow/Green. 

I attached a pic :). 

22 hours ago, Cyber-Locc said:

Cool thanks, I seen that suggested, didn't know if it applied to this species in particular. I checked 2 of my arrivals, niether had that line. So hopefully at least 2 are female, and already gravid I was only able to source 4 beetles so that made it worrisome.

Do you happen to know why the color variations? Of my 4, he had them split into 2 different cups. They had hit a shipping delay and arrived super dehydrated, 2 were very bright yellow, and 2 were blood red. The blood red ones quickly turned orange in a cup of substrate I put them while finishing up their viv. The yellow ones were mostly green by the time I got them in Viv. I know that color change is due to humidity, but why are some Red/Orange and others Yellow/Green. 

I attached a pic :). 

I don't think your picture is attached properly (check the size of file). Variation, or a phenotype, can be presented all kinds of animals and plants that reproduces by a copulation between a male and a female. Anything that goes through parthenogenesis or cloning won't show a difference from a parent to offsprings. Gymnetis thula has many different variations recorded in scientific publication: black with yellow markings, half and half of black and yellow, mostly yellow, entirely yellow, reddish brown with yellow, etc....

1 hour ago, JKim said:

I don't think your picture is attached properly (check the size of file). Variation, or a phenotype, can be presented all kinds of animals and plants that reproduces by a copulation between a male and a female. Anything that goes through parthenogenesis or cloning won't show a difference from a parent to offsprings. Gymnetis thula has many different variations recorded in scientific publication: black with yellow markings, half and half of black and yellow, mostly yellow, entirely yellow, reddish brown with yellow, etc....

Cool thanks and no it didn't. Here. 

irp5UZB.jpg

As you can see by the one turning green, the cup was humid. When they arrived they were bright yellow and Blood Red, the one on the left is more red, but they were darker than that even. So they also are not yellow and red, they are not yellow at all. They are Red and Black dry, and Orange and Black humid. No yellow no green on 2, and the normal Yellow/Green on the other 2. 

So the sexing, I only checked 2 when they were in the cup, it was before you told me about that trick, I had read it for other species though, so checked 2. Neither had the line, and Peter said hope for females at least, they are likely already Gravid. So that's my hope, that there is either 1 male or those females are Gravid. The goal is to start a colony, and it's an expensive chance lol.  

Now since putting them in the Viv, they all disappeared but 1, at first they all did, now one is back out, very green, and very active, climbing and flying around and such. The others are still nowhere to be seen. Does this species have a "Resting Time" like I have read others do? Or do they burrow to lay? Just curious why only 1 is out and about. 

Edit: you can still see some spots of Dark red on the left one. Though it looked like the right one, by the time they went to the Viv.