wing case shut

aje88

well i was reading this article on google on beetle fightning techniquis. and one of the articles said that you are sopposed to tape the fighting beetles wing case so it wont fly.they say that they tape them shut for there whole life. what do you people think about this?

Some people get very upset about beetle fighting. I always argue that there is nothing natural about a captive life. If the beetles are raised for fighting, it might make sense to tape the elytra. A beetle that is used to opening its wings might distract itself during a critical fighting moment. A beetle that has never had the option of opening its wings may behave differently (better) in "the ring". In nature, flight may be an effective method for escape. During a staged beetle fight, however, the puppetmasters probably don't want this to happen.

I don't think people get upset about beetle fighting since they usually can't hurt each other. Some people do seem to get upset about even small primitive creatures being fought to the death however. I don't know that taping the elytra would work since rhino beetles require high humidity and you don't want to cover the animal in tape.

I would assume "most people" believe the beetles in these fights are fighting to the death (regardless of true risks).

It's been my observation that there is a section of society that gets really upset about the "exploitation" of animals, including insects, for nearly any form of human entertainment. If people are enjoying themselves, somebody, somewhere is going to get pissed off about it. I find such people far more disturbing than the practice of beetle-fighting. This is what beetles do. This is what makes beetles interesting to us. Sure, it's staged and therefore unnatural, but so is keeping them as pets, I say! And I do LOVE a pet beetle!