Legal pets? A Good starter beetle.

Zap

Hello all,

I've been interested in raising beetles for awhile now, especially those in the Scarabaeidae family.

I was wondering what a good starter beetle is? I've never owned an invert pet before, so I am looking for something hardy in that respect. I've been scouring the internet for about a month now and I'm particularity interested in dynastes tityus, stategus aloeus, and chrysina beetles.

However, I live in Dawson City, Yukon Canada. I haven't found any information stating if pet beetles are illegal up here, nor have I found any evidence saying they are legal as pets. A part of me is doubting I can have one shipped out of the US either from all the restrictions between states I have read about. Are there any Canadian breeders of the above mentioned species or a further recommended starter beetle?

Thank you for your help.

I think Osmoderma eremicola are found in Canada and they are easy and enjoyable to rear. I know there are a number of keepers up in Canada but don't have any contacts for you offhand. If you have the interest and keep looking around I'm sure you'll run into somone. I suggest not trying to import unless you can find an importer who knows the rules and regs for your country.