Where to find Zopherus nodulosus haldemani?

I'll be driving through Texas this summer, and I would love to track down some of these beetles. From everything I can find online, they're mostly found around the Austin area, with College Station mentioned as a good location. Oak and pecan trees are mentioned as prime habitat.

Anybody here from the area who could give me some tips on where to find them? My plan is to just poke around some wooded areas and hope for the best, but any tips on the best places to look would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Travis county is apparently a good place to look for these, check under bark on fallen or dead trees, especially those of Cottonwood, Pecan, and American Elm, all of which are trees they seem to be associated with.

I wish you luck in finding some, they are very beautiful beetles! :)

Travis county is apparently a good place to look for these, check under bark on fallen or dead trees, especially those of Cottonwood, Pecan, and American Elm, all of which are trees they seem to be associated with.

I wish you luck in finding some, they are very beautiful beetles! :)

I'll be looking in a few places around that area. Was hoping someone might have a trail or park to suggest but it seems like I'll just be guessing and hoping for the best!

i know the feeling not finding a species

have you check bugsofamerica maybe they can collect some for you

also check place like creek and reservoir good variety there

I'll be looking in a few places around that area. Was hoping someone might have a trail or park to suggest but it seems like I'll just be guessing and hoping for the best!

Yeah, not sure many people here have actually collected this species, I for one certainly have not. Maybe try looking through Bugguide and looking through all the localities? http://bugguide.net/adv_search/bgsearch.php?taxon=54853&location[]=TX

I've found them at Inks Lake State Park.

http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/inks-lake

Collecting in state parks is not permitted, but you should be able to find them outside the park. Other places to find them are Lake Somerville State Park in Burleson County and the small town of San Leanna in Travis County (Austin vicinity). Bugguide.com and Texasento.com should help with other locations.