Not A Bad Start

Nice haul! FYI, big Ziploc bags are a substrate collector's best friend, much easier to transport those bags than a whole bunch of plastic containers. Plus they hold a lot of substrate. :)

I put them in tupperware containers. These cups are just the broken wood that I separated. I took a wheelbarrow into the woods, gathered decaying logs, brought them home, and started shredding. I shredded them more yesterday so it's starting to have a nice consistency.

Hey, click beetles are cool! I'm currently breeding a medium sized species of Melanotus sp that I caught underneath a willow tree, and trying to breed some Ampedus sp I've had larva of for a few years now. I find them quite interesting as larva, though that's just my opinion of them. :)

So some of the wood dried out and it became more stiff than the stuff that I previously collected. Can I still use it? It was really wet and easy to take apart when I collected it. I'm worried I tainted my whole supply when I added everything into one. Thoughts?

So some of the wood dried out and it became more stiff than the stuff that I previously collected. Can I still use it? It was really wet and easy to take apart when I collected it. I'm worried I tainted my whole supply when I added everything into one. Thoughts?

Just wet it again, should return to it's rotten goodness. :)

During this test I had 5 deli cups mixed with organic potting soil and white rotten wood. I prepared 5 more that had pure white rotten wood only. I lightly misted the containers and put them in a shelf behind a door and came back days later. Note that I put lids on all of these cups with 10 air holes each. To my finding, all of them except one grew mold throughout. The one that didn't grow mold was the 100% wood. Not sure what happened. Should I add flour and yeast to ferment it more?