Hello

SwampScavanger

Hi, I'm just starting my first few colonies! Starting with isopods, Euryrus colored train millipede, and crickets. Any tips or personal methods will be much appreciated. I have been taking care of reptiles and fish for years and have always been observing and hunting insects. I live in Louisiana if there's a particular recommendation of something I should keep my eye out for id like to know. Thank you

Hi, I'm just starting my first few colonies! Starting with isopods, Euryrus colored train millipede, and crickets. Any tips or personal methods will be much appreciated. I have been taking care of reptiles and fish for years and have always been observing and hunting insects. I live in Louisiana if there's a particular recommendation of something I should keep my eye out for id like to know. Thank you

Welcome, SwampScavanger.

Things to be on the lookout for in Louisiana:

Strategus aloeus

Phileurus truncatus

Phileurus valgus

Lucanus capreolus

Lucanus elaphus

Lucanus placidus

Dynastes tityus

Plectrodera scalator

Happy hunting and good luck!

Cheers

SwampScavanger, not sure what area you are in, but the giant water bugs, diving beetles and Caterpillar Hunters are out right now. The dung beetles might be out too but I haven't tried to trap them yet. Plus the phasmids have started to hatch...

May / June is: giant millipedes, L. elaphus, and L. placidus oh and Gymnetis caseyi

July / Aug is: D. tityus, S. aloeus and L. capreolus - also Cotinus nitida

There are tons of other things out too, but as you can see I like (and collect) beetles and millipedes. Central and North LA you get scorps, tarantulas, giant centipedes and even leaf-cutter ants.