How to ship insects?

I have a few questions about how to ship insects.

1. Do you need to write "feeder insects" on the box or tell the post office that it contains live animals?

2. Is there any special pricing to be aware of when calculating shipping? (As opposed to shipping normally, without something live inside?)

3. Do you need to poke holes in the shipping box?

Any additional advice will be appreciated. I dont want to calculate the shipping and then be surprised with additional costs at the post office.

Thanks!

1) No.

2) Usually live insects would need Express Mail Shipping if it is cold where you live or you want to guarantee live arrival.

3) Depends on what you are shipping because sometimes air can get through the cracks. However, whatever housing them other than the packaging should have air holes in it. If you are using a styrofoam box, you should place one hole in each corner of the square so they can breathe easily. Styrofoam is known to keep heat inside more than a standard box.

I plan to mail darkling beetle larva. I see on USPS.com that roaches are illegal to ship. So for those of you who ship roaches, do y'all just say you're shipping something else? Do I just say it's "worms"?

I only read on the USPS site it was illegal to ship pests, so I think non-pest roaches like hissers don't count.

Unless you are mailing to Florida or Tennessee, because all roaches that are not native to those states cannot be shipped there due to importation laws.

Also, check the weather in advance to see if temperatures drop a lot throughout the days or if there is snow. I ordered some beetles about 2 weeks ago and told her to hold them until Monday and ship them that day. However, we got unexpected snow so they might get held on a Sunday at the cold post office and may die. :(