Mid-Atlantic Beetles

dieseldan

I was hoping to get an idea of unique beetles found in the MD, VA, DE and eastern WV vicinity. There are some that come to mind but

would like to know if anyone else could point me towards more.

The "Puritan Tiger Beetle" is a local example, which has been under recent conservation due to it's habitat eroding on the banks of the Chesapeake Bay.

Also the "Eastern Eyed Click Beetle", which feeds on less beneficial beetle larvae.

One of those less beneficial beetle larvae is the local "False Potato Beetle", or "Horsenettle Beetle". Though I wouldn't mind horsenettle being eaten in my yard. :D

Hehe, I was going to mention the Puritan Tiger Beetle, but I see you are already aware of that one!

There's also the Margined Tiger Beetle (Ellipsoptera marginata). Even though it's found all the way down into Florida, it's only found along the east coast states.

The Puritan Tiger Beetle deserves a second mention for causing so many waves in the bay area.

Green Margined, that's interesting, to think two living so close could have such different colors. I will check on the Severn this evening to see if there are any around. Thank you, any beetle that extends into the area is helpful.

Have you seen one in Missouri before?

That's amazing, I have been looking for a Dynastes of any kind, but without success.

I saw a Prionus Imbricornis in Tuscaloosa, AL. It's antennae were very interesting to watch, and an applicable addition to the list, thank you stevedynastes. By the way, your picture shows the beetle's intensity very well.

In the area I find a lot of Big headed ground beetles, some spotted tiger beetles, some c. piceus. Ground beetles seem to be the easiest to come across. I find tons of small species. It's funny that you mention winchester since when in virginia I live in Delaplane which is only like 20 minutes away. I have found geotrupes sp., carrion, L. capreolus, dorcus parallelus, grapevine beetles.

Ive had many friends find adult D. tityus at random times of the night in Northern Virginia and into West Virginia.

That is a large addition to the list, thank you very much. I forgot to mention Grapevine beetles earlier and am surprised to hear you find Geotrupes Sp. in your area. And another mention of D. Tityus is extremely heartening. My eyes will be peeled for Big Headed Ground Beetles and Dorcus Parallelus when the time comes.

Cacapon and Berkeley Springs were quiet vacation spots when I was younger. But Winchester still has close family living there. If I really wanted to bore you I'd tell you about my botanist sister in Parkersburg and our trip up the New River.