Black lighting

Does anyone know where I can find the right equipment to do some black lighting? I've been trying to find some of the stuff, but I wanted to see if anyone had any advice before I purchase anything. Cheaper stuff is probably better for now, for my meager student wallet. ;)

Yes, a cheap and light that works well for me is the stinger bug killer, you have to take out the bulb then break off the plastic skill then clip the 2 wires inside connected to the inner metal cage and remove metal cage. Just top remains, plug bulb back in. Try to get the white uv black light because they also have the normal black light but that sucks compared. A white bed sheet is needed also with 1/3 of it on ground so ground insects can call up and insects in trees above etc can see the uv. That way you cover 2 different axis. You will need an extension cord as well. They sell it at Home Depot. The zapper is around 30 dollars if that is too much You can just buy a normal black light from Spencer's or eBay. Hope that helps. Are you needing fully remote for places with no power outlets?

I blacklight in my backyard every night. Sometimes I just use my 18 inch uvb bulb and sometimes I bust out my 48 inch blb's:

http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-24922-350BL-Fluorescent-Black/dp/B002CYW6GI

On an actual trip I will also use a mercury vapor lamp, but I don't usually feel like making my neighbors feel like I'm melting the paint off their houses so I leave that one off ;)

Yes, on the Internet the slayer exciter circuit (SEC) was supposed to have been created by a Dr.Stiffler. The circuit was around long before Dr. Stiffler claimed to invent it. It is like a flyback or ignition coil driver with one transistor, only it uses an aircore secondary with a primary like a tesla coil. The one on instructables is pretty weak. Look for a schematic that uses a 2n3055 which handles much more current. You only need 1 diode though, and for size and efficiency, it is important to have a tertiary coil connected to the secondary. Remember to tune the primary to the secondary and load (uv tube) and have it run off a small 12 volt battery. I'm working on one now it works very well, I still need to tune it more and add a topload. I can't wait till I can hike it through major woods and set it up with a white sheet!

I used to use a deep cell solar car battery or a race car battery that would power my UV lights and Mercury vapor for about 5 hours, but I've since converted my setup to run off a Honda eu2000i generator. Sometimes I take it with me to Arizona but when I fly it costs about $26 to ship it back and forth via UPS and then it's a pain in the butt to drain it of gas and oil each time and find proper places to dispose of these liquids. Generators have to ship "dry".

Renting a generator in the area you plan to collect in may be your cheapest and easiest option. But you still need the lights. Sometimes you can find places that have plug ins for your lights. Renting a cabin in Madera Canyon can be pretty cheap and then you just set the lights up on extension cords. I didn't try it during my two trips to it this year, but the campground down at Pena Blanca Lake has a light pole with an outlet on it. It used to have power.