To dig or not to dig? That is the question..

Hey guys I have some questions regarding Dynastes Larvae..the question is what types of larvae dig down into the substrate and which don't? My friend from the UK has a pair of Megasoma Elephas L3 larvae he recently got in a trade. He says that they are lively when held etc and are currently just under a thing amount of substrate so he is worried that they may be sick or something or are they just species that don't dig much? What species typically don't go under the substrate much if at all and which do?

He's tried asking in the UK sites such as bugnation etc but with no luck. Any one with some insight is welcome to post I would personally like to know myself. Thank-you!

Not seen that question come up on Bugnation recently. Most of my Megasoma larvae sit towards the bottom of the tank most of the time, though they do move around in the substrate as well. Need some more details of the type of substrate, depth, size of tank etc. It may be they have eaten everything worthwhile towards the bottom and are looking for food in the rest of the tank.

Oh? Hm..well he told me it's a 30 gallon container so it's rather large..also his substrate was new so he had just stuck them in there and then waited for them to go in but noticed no activity. I'll ask him about the bugnation thing too. As for the substrate he used rotted oak blended into a fine dust and oak leaves blended the same way. It's a 50-50 ratio. I apologize for forgetting to include those details.