Insect pin size guide

Jordan

Hello,

So with so many different sized insect pins and so many different sized insects, how do I know exactly what pin to use. People say use size 6 for large beetles but how large does that apply to? Can anyone write out a chat kind thing?

Just something like

#0- and then the insect size range that works for that pin

#1- 00mm-00mm

#2- 00mm-00mm

And so on

Thanks,

Jordan

#000 Used for very small insects, generally can be replaced by paper points.

#00 Used for the smallest insects that won't be destroyed by a point. 4~9 mm

#0 Same as #00

#3 The standard pin size. Used for most medium sized insects. 10~100 mm (Different kinds of insects have different anatomies, so use by your own discretion.)

#4 Same as #3.

#7 Used for the largest insects, i.e. Megasoma

#s 1, 2, 5, and 6 generally aren't as important as the ones listed above. A collection will not be lacking if don't use these.

The "standard" length museum pin these days is 38-40mm, insects pinned on pins this long should fit a standard museum drawer. Be careful of just specifying a "No 3" pin, different manafacturers make different diameter pins with the same "Size no." - check with the manufacturer regrding dimensions.

Pins tend to come in packets of 100, so it is fairly cheap to buy a single packet of some of the "odd" numbers just in case.

The pins I tend to use mostly are - sizes from my regular pin supplier

Size 0 - .29mm x 40mm - thinnest long pin - used for flies and bees

Size 1 - .32mm x 40mm - next size up for slightly larger "small stuff"

Size 3 - .45mm x 40mm - bumblebees, largeish beetles and other big stuff.

Size 4 - .56mm x 40mm - used for the very largest beetles and also as pins for carded or staged insects

Micropins for staging:

Size A3 - .15mm x 15mm - longer than the usual 10mm micropins, I find the extra 5mm of pin very handy - very small bees or flies.

I also have the odd packet of sizes 2 and 5 around if needed. Basicly, pin on the thinnest pin you can that is sensible for the specimen, though this is more important for the smaller insects.