New Member from Texas

Hi guys. I'm a nature person, with a passion for aquariums, although I've always been fascinated by "those giant Japanese beetles". After a bit of research, I've decided to pursue American species of the Tribes Lucanini and Dynastini, starting off with L. elaphus. I will probably purchase them online, as they're really only available in the most northeastern corner of Texas, Texarkana. I'm still very much learning, so I don't think I'm ready yet. I have some questions:

Are there any sites that have comprehensive care for Lucanus species?

What species of fungus have you used successfully for fermenting wood dust?

Is inbreeding insects (mother-sister matings) acceptable?

My understanding is that beetles don't require a considerable amount of care, bar feeding and changing the substrate when necessary. Is this correct?

I'll probably think of some more, but in the meantime, thank you.

Welcome to the forum and the hobby !

You would probably like these if you haven't heard of them yet:

The Complete Guide to Rearing the Elephant Stag Beetle:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide-Rearing-Elephant-Beetle/dp/0971912963

The Complete Guide to Rearing the Eastern Hercules Beetle:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Rearing-Eastern-Hercules-Beetle/dp/0980240107

Steven

Welcome! I would suggest getting The ultimate guide to breeding beetles, it is basically those two books combined, along with info on dung beetles, flower scarabs, darkling beetles, etc. Inbreeding is a subject which has not been studied too thoroughly, some people say its ok, some people day its not. Honestly, I think that its ok, I have been breeding darkling beetle siblings together, and have yet to see any problems. Beetles are much less demanding than other pets, and besides feeding, making and replacing substrate, there is not much else they need. However, extra care must be taken when breeding, such as removing eggs/larva from the breeding cage and moving them to their own containers, etc. Hope this helps! :)

Hello and welcome for the both of us, feels good to be back my self. As you can see we have members here that explain things really well, not to mention knowledgeble, with one exception of course, honestly it's not me. Care to trade for some Texas ants... Sorry i have to try

Thank you for your warm welcome and advice everyone, I'll check out those books.

As far as Texas ants go, I don't have any experience with them. That's doesn't mean I can't collect and identify them, you'll just have to tell me what species you're looking for, and if you just want some workers or also a queen and males.

Thank you for your warm welcome and advice everyone, I'll check out those books.

As far as Texas ants go, I don't have any experience with them. That's doesn't mean I can't collect and identify them, you'll just have to tell me what species you're looking for, and if you just want some workers or also a queen and males.

AWESOME ! i too do not have any experience with this Genus of ant. i am trying to use an Unconventional method to collect them, i call it ( GZN negative ) yes i am DR what ever, i am joking, that's a scene from MAN IN BLACK AND YES SHE IS H>O>T. OR i should just give you the Latin name

According to wiki Nomamyrmex esenbeckii is the only species in USA, looking for Pachycondyla sp as well. If you can collect a small colony including the queen that would be great. Thank you

nice were are you from in texas? we could meet up and collect together, i have many species aside from lucanus elaphus, heres a few!

allomyrina dichotoma

dorcus cervidens babai

chalcosoma caucasus

odontolabis ludekingi!

shoot me a message!