Jordan

When I first signed up for the forum there was a error notice that said that I had to be verified by a mod before I could actually post or access really anything on the forums. It took probably 2 weeks or longer for me to finally be able to use the forum after that. Is there a way the mods could disable this or is there a purpose to it? I feel like it limits the amount of activity here. I almost gave up on coming to this site when it wouldn't let me access anything and I feel like it may keep some others from waiting to use the forum. Did anyone else have the wait?

Thanks,

Jordan

The manual approval process is because most new signups are spam users. If signup were automatic you'd see a thousand unpleasant posts destroy the forum in 24 hours. Some new users sit in que for a long time because it's not immediately certain if they're a spam user or real person.

Fair enough!

Just a quick follow up to what Orin said. Spammers constantly hit up this forum, more than Mantidforum or Roachforum despite this forum being a little bit more underground than the other two. When spammers create new email addresses (which they probably do by the hundreds?, each day) it sometimes takes a few days for their associated IP address to show up on the stopforumspam.com website that we run all prospective members' IP addresses through.

I apologize for the frustration. It would be nice if this forum would explode in popularity, but I suspect that dedicated hobbyists will still find the wait well worth it. In the meantime, we'll still spend twenty bucks each month, hosting this forum year after year, hoping that the community grows. More than anything, it is new content that generates a larger membership.

• 2 weeks later...