Video Of Catching Beetles In Japan!

i found this online and thought it was hilarious and since it is beetle related and he does give a few ideas on how to "trap" beetles i thought id share this clip from a japanese television show of a man in a biker fetish outfit out in the forests of japan catching beetles to give to children!....wish i had a japanese man in a fetish outfit to catch me some stag beetles B)

Japan = AWESOME....and very weird :huh:

http://www.veoh.com/watch/e114523Jcj49KfX

i found this online and thought it was hilarious and since it is beetle related and he does give a few ideas on how to "trap" beetles i thought id share this clip from a japanese television show of a man in a biker fetish outfit out in the forests of japan catching beetles to give to children!....wish i had a japanese man in a fetish outfit to catch me some stag beetles B)

Japan = AWESOME....and very weird :huh:

http://www.veoh.com/watch/e114523Jcj49KfX

lol

I love that you said you found a few "miyamakuwagata", but what species is that? :lol:

What species of Lucanidae and Dynastinae are most expensive in Japan?

Miyamakuwagata is Lucanus maculifemoratus. Managed to dig up a picture of one I kept last year.post-4628-0-74457500-1308971671_thumb.jpg

I believe the most expensive domestic breed is Dorcus hopei (ookuwagata, or 'big stag beetle'), which has become very rare in the wild thanks to habitat change and whatnot. Interesting variations of more common species can also fetch a higher price, as mentioned in the video. Size can be a big factor as well.

Some of the foreign bugs can be quite pricy. The most I ever paid was 18,000 yen ($220) for a pair of Dynastes hercules hercules. Well worth it though! I'll be moving to the US later this year, and it saddens me a little that unless the laws change, I'll never again be able to own any really large beetles. Still, looking forward to trying to get my hands on some L. elaphus/D. granti.

Incidentally, the most expensive beetle ever sold in Japan apparently went for $89,000, but I haven't been able to find out what species it was.