Fungus grub ID please.

kadupul

I've been looking into native beetles in my area and I really liked the Bolitotherus cornutus or forked fungus beetle and I guess that they're fairly simple to keep, so went out and found some old Ganoderma lucidum and here are some of the contents.

KkP8pAH.jpg

p5rxksb.jpg

QoxOimn.jpg

So did I get lucky? Are they whatever the other darkling species is? Or something else altogether?

I'm not sure what the last pic is, but the first two look promising. The second picture definitely shows the pieces of a Bolitotherus exoskeleton. The larvae in the first picture seems to match pictures of Bolitotherus larvae, so they might be what you're looking for.

On 1/31/2023 at 10:39 PM, bmb1bee said:

I'm not sure what the last pic is, but the first two look promising. The second picture definitely shows the pieces of a Bolitotherus exoskeleton. The larvae in the first picture seems to match pictures of Bolitotherus larvae, so they might be what you're looking for.

Thank you for the response.

The last picture is a set of elytra from a deceased beetle. I tried to ID it using iNat's database and the appropriate filters, but the closest I could get was Tenebrionoidea because there are several different genera with similar markings. I looked in on the grubs yesterday and I saw a couple of them munching away at their fungi. This is the first time I've had beetles of any sort so hopefully all goes well! 😁