Luring in stags

Sometime this week (once we get a cloudy night so the moon isn't shining) my friends and I are gonna put some lights out on my other friend's property to attract stags. She has a pool and she says she finds them in it sometimes (they must see the moon's reflection in it and fly towards it) so we've got that going for us. However, I'd like to know what kind of lights we should use. I can borrow a UV-producing light if necessary, and I have floodlights. Is it best to stake out close to the woods or a little ways away? Any other tips? Will they land near the light or just join the rest of insect fauna flying in loops around it? Will females come or only males?

Sometime this week (once we get a cloudy night so the moon isn't shining) my friends and I are gonna put some lights out on my other friend's property to attract stags. She has a pool and she says she finds them in it sometimes (they must see the moon's reflection in it and fly towards it) so we've got that going for us. However, I'd like to know what kind of lights we should use. I can borrow a UV-producing light if necessary, and I have floodlights. Is it best to stake out close to the woods or a little ways away? Any other tips? Will they land near the light or just join the rest of insect fauna flying in loops around it? Will females come or only males?

Hello my friend I am a fellow beetle enthusiast. I was in a heavy forested area on a warm night with moon blocked by canopy. I had a small uv light with florecent headlamp on a bright white t shirt on a hollow stump and I there were quite a few common junebugs click beetles a few small carabids moths and then a 1inch long dark brown stag beetle I believe its a female not sure of excact sp I also put out a mixture of rotten banana and diluted maple syrup and maybe some beer. stag beetles and other beetles will be attracted to the sweet fermenting smell. Keep a flashlight handy to shine adjacent to uv light for insects will be in the shadows. Im currnetly looking for various scarabs and larger carabids. From my experience its good to set up between forest and open field/meadow/yard/garden because you ll find a larger deversity of species.

Happy hunting

Buggnout

sincerely

noel aka buggnout

Mercury Vapor and Black Lights are the two best lights to use. You can run Black Lights from your car battery using a power adapter - this lets you setup in remote locations. Both males and females should show up if they are in the area. They usually don't spend too much time flying around the light.

Good Luck !

Steven

• 4 weeks later...

stags are done flying here in CT. I usually find a few dead ones in June/July, found a dead male, I'm going to put him in my collection, all spread and everything. Lucanus capreolis