Tips for collecting D. Granti

I am starting to plan a collection trip to Arizona in search for some D. Granti. Does anyone have any tips as to where/when to go, what collection methods have worked for you etc.? As of right now, I am thinking mid august, and Payson area, but really I have no idea where anything is there.

Well I have never done a collecting trip for D. Granti but one thing is for sure be in the front of the crowd when the gas station and other bright lights turn on because D. Granti season is like a feeding frenzy for rhinoceros beetle collector from all over the US. The best hours will be between 10pm and 2am and look for bright lights that are as isolated as possible and near a large if possible pristine forest area. Using food bait bags can work if you have the right formula of fruits.

Regarding that right fruit combination, I can tell what d.g. prefer in my boxes. They like overripe banana and juicy sweet fruit, apart from my home made beetle jelly. I would definitely use the overripe banana because of the very strong fruity smell and some juicy fruit lie very ripe pear as additional lure:)

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Phoenix and went once in early August and once in mid October didn't find any living specimens. I found 2 dead females on the October trip there are alot of Xyloryctes thestalus, and I think another similar looking hornless species very hard to tell apart mistake them for female xyloryctes thestalus. I found 3 Chrysina Gloriosa on the August trip.

I think September maybe the best month for Dynastes Granti. Highest concentration of beetles is the Home Depot and that is where I found the 2 dead females. I didn't see any other collectors. There also seems to be a rush of beetles just at dusk and just after sun down and then alot seem to disappear but slowly you might see some different species trickle in like Chrysina gloriosa. Maybe try camping and setting up a light trap that is what I might do this year.