Question about BDFB

csliv36

Hello all! I am very new to this hobby but I am totally hooked already. I recently purchased three blue death feigning beetles and they're wonderful. The first day I had them, they were very active. Now, just one of them is active. The other two hide with eachother (it's pretty cute). Is this something I should be worried about? I've read that they are usually pretty active so I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to enhance this. I do not have a heat lamp or anything yet. Anyone have any insight?

I'm sure they are fine. Shipping can be a stressful process, and when you first put them in their cage, they were probably scared and confused. Now it seems like they are just relaxing, they are probably just acclimating to their cage. As long as they are not extremely lethargic, and they look normal, then they should be Ok.

Thank you Hisserdude! How could I tell if they are lethargic? I have kept beetle jelly in there for them and I switch out apple pieces at the end of the day. The active one is the only one that I've seen eat it at all, but that doesn't really mean anything. I'm sure the others eat when I am not home.

If you picked them up and they moved extremely sluggishly, then you would know if they were lethargic or not. Darkling beetles have pretty small appetites, so I wouldn't worry about that. I'll give you one tip though, all darkling beetles I've kept LOVE dog or cat food, they will even fight over it! I always include it in my darkling beetles diets.