New BDFs!

I just got some BDFs from Repticon and I'm very happy with them! My female is Gertrude, and my two males are Phillip and Steve. Im currently keeping them in a small plastic tank with a big fake plant and sand mixed with some eco earth as sub. They also have some dead oak leaves as hiding places just cause it looks nice (although they love to push them around!) I am feeding them moist dog food mixed with some banana and other fruits that are recommended as well as some leafy greens. So far so good and they sure love to eat! Im changing the food a lot because they eat is so darn fast! Any other advice (particularly for breeding) would be very appreciated and thanks for sharing in my excitement!

Thanks,

Vinegaroonie

I keep mine in a tank with no lid. They won't climb out, and they like the ventilation. I also moisten a small corner of their tank with water daily (this corner has more eco earth than sand). For feeding, they also like tropical fish flakes, but a favorite is canned crickets. Freeze dried might work, too.

I have oak leaf litter in my tank as well.

They like hiding under pieces of bark- cork and oak bark is what I've been using, and they also like cholla logs. I've got pics of my setup posted here if you want to check it out.

http://beetleforum.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1946

Not much else to add that trailblazr didn't cover.

My set up is about the same, and I vary the food from fish to cat to dog. Dry cat and dog food seems to be thoroughly enjoyed and one chip lasts days (but I change it daily of course). Canned crickets are a favorite of theirs, and I offer whatever fruits, veggies, or greens I have alongside the insect jellies that they love (esp. the apple and banana). For hides they have dried oak leaf litter, pieces of cork, and a deer jaw bone. Currently there is a lot of mating and egg laying going on and I'm waiting to see what happens, from what I've read larvae live the same lifestyle as the adults, and pupation is the biggest obstacle.

I'll keep you posted on my developments. Oh and I think I posted my setup on that same thread as trailblazr. :D Hope this is helpful!

Oh and the fish flakes are definitely enjoyed but mine kick it all over the place, and I substitute that now and then with mini cichlid pellets that are easily managed by little beetle mouths (I have fish and cichlids already and I have a surplus of their food so this wasn't that big of a deal). :) They are omnivores, so I offer them omnifood :lol:.

Ok, cool, will offer some fish flakes for a varied diet :) looks like I should give them some more to hide under, so I'll get a little cholla log maybe. I think I will keep mine with no lid, I agree that they seem to like good airflow. One of mine, Steve, loves to sit under one of the air holes when I have my fan on XD