I found a predatory diving beetle. What now?

I'm keeping it in RO water for the time being since I wasn't sure if a dechlorinator was needed and I don't have any of that right now. I fed it a mealworm last night, but there was no interest. If I can't get this beetle up and running within a week or so I'm going to release it back into the wild from whence it came.

Ok well congrats first of all!!! :)

Because these are oxygen breathers, water quality is not at the utmost importance. RO was a great choice though, as chlorine and other things in our tap water are harmful...don't sweat filtration though. Try feeding it small fish and tadpoles as this is their primary food in the wild, but many will accept crickets and roaches. Careful of it flying out too...some of these have a nasty bite.

Best of luck to you, and please upload pics if possible. :D

It wouldn't go for a mealworm I offered, nor a roach. I'm going to try flakes again, then a roach and a mealworm again. If it doesn't eat after that I'm releasing. It's neat, but I'd rather it live it's life in the pond by my apartment than waste away in my care. The pond will be better than the parking lot at work too.

I really, really don't like crickets and I don't have anything else in my collection that needs crickets.

We used to feed them with crickets at the insectarium - and the cricket does not have to be alive (can be crushed prior to feeding). Just toss it in the water, the beetle will find it eventually. Worked every time. I am curious why it did not take the roach. Maybe it is better to crush it too before putting in the water, as roachs tend to swin well and produce lots of waves. Maybe this scares the beetle away.

i keep em, super easy,yeah i'm surprized it didn't take any of those items,but maybe its alittle stressed,you can try frozen bloodworms,turtle pellets,frozen silversides,every one ive owned took those items,i feed the ones i have now frozen bloodworms,turtle pellets. good luck,just courious what state do you live in? i'm courious on the sp.you got:)

We used to feed them with crickets at the insectarium - and the cricket does not have to be alive (can be crushed prior to feeding). Just toss it in the water, the beetle will find it eventually. Worked every time. I am curious why it did not take the roach. Maybe it is better to crush it too before putting in the water, as roachs tend to swin well and produce lots of waves. Maybe this scares the beetle away.

i keep em, super easy,yeah i'm surprized it didn't take any of those items,but maybe its alittle stressed,you can try frozen bloodworms,turtle pellets,frozen silversides,every one ive owned took those items,i feed the ones i have now frozen bloodworms,turtle pellets. good luck,just courious what state do you live in? i'm courious on the sp.you got:)

Well I learned some new stuff today too. Thanks guys!

are you sure its not a water scavenger beetle? they look like predatory diving beetles, but are less predatory. they eat veggies and live insects. hope this may help! :)

I offered another mealworm, no interest. None in the fish flakes either. I'll probably be releasing this weekend.

I checked the jar it's in--there are little white things in there? I'm not sure if they're eggs/larvae or poop. O_o Any ideas?

if they are kinda long,most likely they are eggs,their eggs look like that.

• 4 weeks later...