Anyone have experience with Pterostichus Ground Beetles? Owned or bred?

Never bred them, but they seem to live at least 6 months in captivity, if not longer. They are very active, with lots of personality. I find them under logs in Hemlock stands. Anything in particular you want to know about them? I think they can squirt some kind of chemical out of their mouths that smells like cinnamon. Never pick them up and point their faces at your eyes. It stings for about 15 seconds.

I find tons of these outside. They are pretty easy to keep, they eat dead or live insects or dog food. They will eat each other if not fed regularly. Pretty fun beetles, not too long lived though, at least the species I find.

Never bred them, but they seem to live at least 6 months in captivity, if not longer. They are very active, with lots of personality. I find them under logs in Hemlock stands. Anything in particular you want to know about them? I think they can squirt some kind of chemical out of their mouths that smells like cinnamon. Never pick them up and point their faces at your eyes. It stings for about 15 seconds.

Never heard that about the chemical! Just curious in general- I might give them a shot.

I find tons of these outside. They are pretty easy to keep, they eat dead or live insects or dog food. They will eat each other if not fed regularly. Pretty fun beetles, not too long lived though, at least the species I find.

Cool, I might look into getting some of these. I read somewhere that they can live 2-3 years once they're adults if you get lucky and find a juvenile one.

• 2 weeks later...