Eleodes (don't know exact species)

jreidsma

Hi everyone :)

These are my Eleodes, I don't know the exact species so I am hoping some people on here may feel like guessing a bit ;)

DSC01836.jpg

DSC01838.jpg

DSC01839.jpg

DSC01840.jpg

Yes they are from Bugsincyberspace, there are some nice pictures there also.

Eleodes longicollis?

Whatever they are they're cute. :)

They do look a lot like E. longicollis, especially the ones on this link:

http://www.opsu.edu/Academics/SciMathNurs/NaturalScience/PlantsInsectsOfGoodwell/coleoptera/tenebrionidae/tenebrion14.html

Maybe I could flip one over and get another picture. I don't want to call them a certain species until we are for sure (which vary well may never happen, knowing how many Eleodes there are)

They are very cute :D They are constantly moving or doing something (at least a few are anyways)

Their wing covers are fused together, and they are some sort of arid species.

Eleodes longicollis are long and glossy. Those are E. subnitens.

Here is where I got them :)

http://shop.bugsincyberspace.com/Darkling-Beetle-Pairs-Groups-bic979.htm

Some more pictures:

DSC01857.jpg

DSC01859.jpg

DSC01860.jpg

I can't find many pictures on E. subnitens, but the few I found online do look more like the ones I got. Especially because most of mine are fat ;):P

Your Eleodes are rather rare in that they are captive bred and a number of generations removed from wild-caught. I am familiar.

I LOVE rare things :D

Is the species E. subnitens rare? Do you mean that they started as a wild caught species but then they were captive bred for generations until now?

The rare part is that they are captive bred not wild caught. However, it also might be very difficult to locate anyone with wild-caught specimens of this species.

I would rather have captive bred stuff anyways :D Then you don't have to worry about bringing in any mold/pest (even though I have never had any problems with them)

Do you know where these would originally came from? Like their native area? I keep trying to google them but I can't find much on the specific species.

Just bought some bananas, apples, lettuce, and pears to feed to these beetles and my new pachydesmus millipede :D (I am getting it in the mail within a day or two)

I figured they might be getting sick of just apples ;)