Shipping laws

Jordan

Hey everyone,

So I always hear that is is completely illegal to have beetles shipped into the us from another country but what are the laws for shipping in the us? I've heard that you can only ship a species to another state if the state you are shipping to is a native home to that species. Is this true? I've also seen people take caution when shipping to florida, why is that? any other states that should not be shipped to? Also please share your advice on best way to packing live insects and other shipping tips.

Thanks,

Jordan

Odontotaenius, Tenebrio, and Dermestes are shipped around the country without any required permits but getting written permission on other genera may be unlikely. It's easier and safer to say no than yes. Bureaucrats are rightly more concerned with their own livelihoods than someone else's pastimes.

What about lucanidae? They only feed off of rotten wood... So why the concern? :P

According to USDA, adults are threat to the agriculture. That's why Lucanidae and Dynastidae aren't allowed to be imported in the U.S.

Xylotruped gideon, for example, is a major past in pacific because they cause serious damages to sugarcane crops. Even Japan has put them on the list of species to be not imported.

According to USDA, adults are threat to the agriculture. That's why Lucanidae and Dynastidae aren't allowed to be imported in the U.S.

Xylotruped gideon, for example, is a major past in pacific because they cause serious damages to sugarcane crops. Even Japan has put them on the list of species to be not imported.

Yes, rhino beetles for sure, but Lucanids? They don't damage crops as far as I know. And X gideon gets to the US all the time, even through customs in which they OPEN the package.