Lucanus capreolus

Lucanus

That's cool. I didn't know that Lucanus capreolus's legs are orange on the underside.

It is a feature that distinguishes thie specimen from other lucanidae in North America.

The ones in the picture are actually "yellow form". It seems that "orange forms" are usually collected in the Northern area since I've only seen orange forms in the North.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you :D

I don't have any live ones anymore but I am thinking about breeding this species this year.

Do you need any specimens? If so, next time you come to SC, I can give you some. I'll have adults by then.

Also, is it possible to post a key to identifying lucanus larvae? Some are hard to tell apart. :huh:

Do you need any specimens? If so, next time you come to SC, I can give you some. I'll have adults by then.

Also, is it possible to post a key to identifying lucanus larvae? Some are hard to tell apart. :huh:

Thank you :D Hopefully, I might be able to collect some L. capreolus this year but if I fail to collect them I will contact you.

Unfortunately, I don't have a key for identifying Lucanus sp. larvae so I will be taking some photos of head capsules of any Lucanus larvae that I come across.

Thank you :D Hopefully, I might be able to collect some L. capreolus this year but if I fail to collect them I will contact you.

Unfortunately, I don't have a key for identifying Lucanus sp. larvae so I will be taking some photos of head capsules of any Lucanus larvae that I come across.

I would really appreciate a key for telling them apart. Thanks.

And yes, feel free to contact. There is a MASSIVE population here. Seems endless! I will turn over a log and come across a couple dozen EVERY day. Almost every large oak log has them here in one section. I call it Zone C. :huh: I counted 53 from one fallen tree, collected in about an hour. B). I've now reached my limit, I guess. I still enjoy looking at their habitats but I have SO many larvae right now. I have somewhere around 150-200. This includes Lucanus, Platycerus, and Dorcus. But like 3/4 of them are Lucanus, if not more. :o. And I still know of a couple HUNDRED that I haven't collected. I'll leave them be :P.

This isn't unusual for me to come across: (Elaphus?)

DSCF1023.JPG

DSCF1001.JPG

P.S. all the lucanus are doing very nicely and the Dorcus are doing especially nice! B) One more pupated recently and another is getting ready to.

Looks like you have lots of L. elaphus right there!

For some reason, L. capreolus larvae seem to be much harder to find than L. elaphus.

O.K. that is good to know. I do have some what I think are capreolus but they are not in the picture. These were all from one log. Ummm... the capreoulus look like they are about to pupate, I think. Smaller and greener also. Ummm... Yeah. Want pictures? I just want to know for sure.

O.K. that is good to know. I do have some what I think are capreolus but they are not in the picture. These were all from one log. Ummm... the capreoulus look like they are about to pupate, I think. Smaller and greener also. Ummm... Yeah. Want pictures? I just want to know for sure.

Will love to see the photos :D

The ones that I used to raise didn't have much difference with Elaphus. The only feature I can remeber is that Capreolus females had the same head capsule size as males while elaphus females had smaller head size than the males.