DORCUS BREVIS NEWLY EMERGED FEMALE!!!

Ryan Minard

:o:D:P:blink:

Yes, I just said what you think I said! I successfully raised this beautiful beetle from larval stage to adulthood.

Here are some pictures and videos:

DSCF0738.JPG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jtNUE1QRl4&feature=youtube_gdata

Pupal cell

DSCF0728.JPG

DSCF0736.JPG

Even though this picture is low quality, I had to include it, so that you might know it is a female. The other pictures give it the appearance of a male. It's head is far too narrow in person, though.

Hope you enjoy! More pictures soon, very possibly!

DSCF0734.JPG

Congrat.!

What you have right there is actually a minor male. Females have different mandible shape.

EDIT:

Upon further examination I have noticed that you very well may be right.

Although there are a few things that need to be looked over before jumping to conclusions, just as I did.

The head shape... Because D. brevis females have a mandible structure almost exactly like that of the male... A lot harder to tell apart than D. parallelus.

Here is the only shot I have so far for this:

561126_294459923959385_130959736976072_731354_1190822385_n.jpg

I've never seen such a narrow headed D. brevis or parallelus, even in photos. My shots don't catch it's narrowness so much so I'll take more photos for you. It's a tricky one, though... hmmm...

OH... and I forgot to mention. The mandibles do appear like this when the beetle stretches them out all the way. They appear to be almost at the sides of the head, giving them that typical male stag appearance. I think a few more shots will help... Tomorrow!

The reason why he has narrow head is because he is a "MINOR" male. I can see some features that tells me that this specimen is a male, especially the mandibles (If you look at them closely, they look different than female's mandibles not just because of the angle but the inner teeth in mandibles are located in different position).

The reason why he has narrow head is because he is a "MINOR" male. I can see some features that tells me that this specimen is a male, especially the mandibles (If you look at them closely, they look different than female's mandibles not just because of the angle but the inner teeth in mandibles are located in different position).

I see what you mean now.

:lol:

Can't believe I didn't notice one thing I should catch, as I've read about it...

The double inner teeth AKA the easiest way to tell a minor male apart from a female.

:blink:

If ya look closely he has one on the top n one on the bottom...

Can someone please change the thread title? xd...

Thnx btw you are a life saver... er... thread saver!

I'll keep you up to date if I find EXTRAS, O.K.? I know that you could breed these pretty easily and there needs to be one more location in which they are bred. I hope these extras pop up. If I successfully raise the ones I have I'll be good to go B).

This beetle needs to be observed and studied, as it is not studied enough. Some think this beetle dies off in the fall/winter like many stags... but this isn't true! They are often found many feet under the ground during the cold season.

I think it is important to research it... so would you possibly want to be part of this?!

I don't know if I'm ready to give any yet. I'll count my larvae and get back to you on that. If I have what I consider enough... then I will ship them to for just the shipping fee which I can do for like 6 bucks.

Hey, I am in Spartanburg, Duncan, SC.

Do you live in this area? I can visit to your place if you want.

Yes...

I live there... where r u staying man? I would love to meet up but I'm busy today. I'll message you.