Chrysina pupation question

34 minutes ago, the_cream_man said:

@Goliathussorry to keep poking you with questions-- I just had my first two glorious emerge!! My first beetles ever and they look great!!

Do they eat anything besides juniper and should I put something wet with them so they can drink??

No problem - please let me know of any and all questions you might have.

I've not found anything other than juniper that this species will accept, although you might try giving them apple slices or maybe beetle jelly, if you have any.  They get all the moisture they need from their food.  As for humidity- same moisture level as is needed for most other scarab beetles.  If you're going to try to breed them, I recommend using pure naturally decayed wood flakes, pure flake soil, or a mixture of the two.  As with other Chrysina species, gloriosa females are capable of laying quite a lot of eggs.  So long as you end up with at least one healthy pair of adults, it's usually possible to get more than enough larvae to start up the next generation.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks! I was able to find a sprig of juniper to throw in their enclosure with them which I wrapped in wet paper towels to try and keep green.

is there a good way to sex the adults? 

Also any depth requirement in sub for egg laying??

Lastly longevity on adults?

29 minutes ago, the_cream_man said:

Thanks! I was able to find a sprig of juniper to throw in their enclosure with them which I wrapped in wet paper towels to try and keep green.

is there a good way to sex the adults? 

Also any depth requirement in sub for egg laying??

Lastly longevity on adults?

The females tend to be larger than the males, on average.  Apart from size, there doesn't really appear to be much of an external difference.

A substrate depth of 6 inches should work well for egg laying.

Adult lifespan can be up to 8 weeks or more in some cases, though the average is shorter - more like 6 or 7 weeks.  Please see - 

https://beetleforum.net/topic/3932-chrysina-woodi/?tab=comments#comment-22738