Alaus Oculatus

Sara

I have had a couple of these in my lifetime (only 16 years, lol;))

I had one during fifth grade, caught it during during fifth grade camp. I was walking around looking for things to bring home (inverts) and one flew right into my face and scared me half to death. So of course I had to keep it ;)

Then also a year later in the sixth grade we were collecting loosestrife beetles (we would go to spots where most of the purple loosestrife plants were eaten, and bring the beetles to another area. The loosestrife is a extremely invasive plant here) and one of my friends had found one of the eyed click beetles and gave it to me.

I think mine may have been both older though, as I didn't have them long.

I love these little guys though :D

• 6 months later...

Breeding them is easy they are quite shy and if you have 2 sexes you will no doubt have eggs. Feed them lots of citrus cut into slices moisten daily, and you can keep the adults for a year or more smile.gif.

For

ovipositing i use bed a beast/ coconut substrate/ eco earth it has a million names. make sure the substrate is about 1-2 inches deep i prefer a small box like a critter keeps and more the pair to a new one every 3 weeks. it takes about 30 days for the egg to hatch and larva to be visible enough to see. If you pic up the kritter keeper you can see them making there little tunnel trails separate them as soon as you find them they will eat each other smile.gif move them to glass jars as they can chew there way out of plastic and feed them crushed crickets smile.gif

let me know if you need anything so sorry for the delays in post i am back and forth alot .. summer is here and its an awesome bug season here in texas smile.gif

So you don't add any logs / wood / sawdust to the mix - I'm presuming the larvae are in soft rotted logs or tree cavities in the wild. Reason I as is I am working on a couple of uncommon click beetles here and getting them to lay is proving tricky - sounds like your setup is pretty simple.

yup that is all i do they are super easy to keep. No logs needed at least for mine the pupate just fine where they are. You can add them if you like , I believe I have read that Orin has had good luck with logs.. I add some decorative brush for looks and to help them right them selves but for sub they are not picky ... just make sure your to separate your grubs once you start seeing trails.

They do pupate in logs in the wild but mine have payed no mind to them in my care.

They very simple to keep :) Let me know if i can help in any ways what species are you keeping?