Found more!!!!!

Lucanus

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a big girl! Mine were moving around but measurements I got of the three females were 36mm, 37mm, and 40mm.

Those are nice size :)

I wonder how big my other 4 specimens are. I'm going to measure them today :)

My larvae range between 9.5-15 grams. Most between 11.5-14 grams. I tried to sex the larvae and if I did it correctly I noticed that usually the females weigh more than the males. I have a group from one tree and most of the females are around 13 grams or more, where as most of the males are around 11-12 grams. I also have some dried specimens and found the pronotum of the females are wider across than the males. I will post my data in the future near pupation.

• 3 weeks later...

My larvae range between 9.5-15 grams. Most between 11.5-14 grams. I tried to sex the larvae and if I did it correctly I noticed that usually the females weigh more than the males. I have a group from one tree and most of the females are around 13 grams or more, where as most of the males are around 11-12 grams. I also have some dried specimens and found the pronotum of the females are wider across than the males. I will post my data in the future near pupation.

That's an interesting observation :) It might be handy when it comes to sexing them :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hurray for pupal cells! How many larvae do you have? I'm guessing there have been a lot of deli cups involved :)

If I remember correctly, I have 31 larvae right now. Out of those, 9 of them were isolated into deli cups cause they were close to maturity :)

• 2 weeks later...

Lucanus - did you find these in an upright, rotten hardwood? This is how I find them usually, and will find one or two adults with a cache of larvae. I downed three, still-standing rotten trees a few weeks ago and collected one adult and 6 grubs. Good luck!

Steven

That's exactly how I found mine! Seems that Phileurini loves still standing trees. Even Asian ones are found in tree cavities and rotting still standing trees. lol

• 3 weeks later...

These are some pics I took 4 days ago. All of them are pupae now :)

Interestingly, my first batch all turned out to be females (I think), while all the second batch larvae turned into males

2nd batch :

1510498_227186217485199_1730263084_n.jpg

1st batch :

1509853_227186180818536_1821006966_n.jpg

You should have some adults in no time! How long after they emerge do you think they'll start feeding?

Usually, smaller Phileurini species start feeding in less than a month after emergence, but these guys might take longer due to their large size.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...