Hello!

Cicada87

Hello, I'm from Richmond, VA. I like Cicadas, June Bugs, Lightning Bugs, Rhino Beetles, and all sorts of bugs esp. beetles. I want to know how to take care of them better. I've been having bad luck with no conclusion to why the bugs I owned this year died withen 2 days to the point I think that the bug cage was cursed and threw it away! I haven't raised insects in decades, and had better luck with them as a child. I only like to keep bugs as pets if they are injured, like if they can't fly or have a broken wing. :)

Maybe you should get some Eleodes ;) None of them can fly :P

Cicadas don't live long, so don't expect a long life out of them.

The rest you could be catching towards the end of their life span or it could be from the injuries they got before you came along and rescued them.

Most beetles will eat fruit or dry foods. Then some eat crickets or small insects. It all depends on the insect.

I killed a whole thriving colony of Rollie pollies in less than an hour with a piece of strawberry earlier this summer. If you are feeding them fruit or veggies make sure they are organic.

I gave the Lightening Bug some kind of fruit.(All fresh produce, not canned, frozen, or cooked). He really liked it. He just died one morning. His name was Bob and I found him one morning he couldn't fly. I gave the Cicada some mango nectar, but he didn't touch it. My mom found him and he had a broken wing. As for beetles - I know they love fruit! They like Jello and applesauce too! Lol, I only fed my pet June Bugs those junk foods as a child before knowing what they actually ate, just trying to see what they like, cause they didn't like leaves or grass(what a lot of kids who are new to bugs think they always eat leaves and grass).

I gave the Lightening Bug some kind of fruit.(All fresh produce, not canned, frozen, or cooked). He really liked it. He just died one morning. His name was Bob and I found him one morning he couldn't fly. I gave the Cicada some mango nectar, but he didn't touch it. My mom found him and he had a broken wing. As for beetles - I know they love fruit! They like Jello and applesauce too! Lol, I only fed my pet June Bugs those junk foods as a child before knowing what they actually ate, just trying to see what they like, cause they didn't like leaves or grass(what a lot of kids who are new to bugs think they always eat leaves and grass).

"They eat grass". :rolleyes:

It is a common myth that has been around at least since I was a kid.

I have seen many kids that have been told by their parents or others to put grass in with all manner of small creatures. Unfortunately, many creatures die because if the misinformation.

I think that more children would be interested in keeping wild caught creatures if they didn't die on them every time they were put in a jar with just grass. <_<