Hi everybody

ando

Hello. My name is Ando and I live in Estonia. If you don't know where it is then search at the North-Europe. My special favorites are the Longhorns. Right now I'm experimenting the breeding with Oryctes nasicornis. Soon I'm gonna breed Dynastes hercules. By the way I'm 16 years old.

Hi Ando,

Welcome aboard! Longhorns are often tricky to breed and take a certain level of commitment because they take so long to rear and often the adults just live weeks. O. nasicornis are a nice beetle, try keeping the larvae seperate.

All my larvaes are separate. I'm now experimenting how much room does the L3 larva need. One of my larva is now a pre pupa. I hoping that i can grow her into a imago.I'm also breeding a longhorn named monochamus urussovi. But i think it's gonna die sooner or later. I also think that you are very lucky in america because you have Dynastes tityus and lucanus elephas. We once had lucanus cervus but it was about 50 years ago :( , so don't kill yours. :rolleyes:

Lucanus elephus had been extremely rare because nearly all the eastern hardwood forests were cleared for farming. However with increased efficiency large areas have begun to grow back (which takes at least 50 years for L.elephus habitat, longer for D.tityus habitat) and they have started to become more common. However, as the need for more ethanol fuels heats up I imagine all the land will be re-cleared.

I'm not interested in their size. I only want to know if i can grow them to adults. I also want to add them to my collection, because i cant find imagos. I have found their elyctras from the heap of compost where i got the larvaes. Don't destroy the forests what lucanus elephas habits. About 300 years ago a russian tsar Peter the First wanted to build strong warships so he ordered to chop down oak forests. Estonian entomologs think that because of that we lost many interesting species and we weaked the lucanus cervus populations. Don't do the same thing. Belive me you're gonna really miss that specie. By the way, does the southern species come to America and Northern species dissapear like we have in Estonia?

Hi Ando,

Nice to meet you!

I'm not sure about US beetles and beetles coming up from Mexico, but I have heard from scientist-collectors that some species of lepidoptera are being found in the Southern US (AZ) that had previously disappeared for 50-100 years.

• 2 weeks later...