Dytiscus life cycle (Giant Predaceous diving beetle)

hey Peter,

I'll break it down the best I can, I'll add some pics to help as well (note: for the Stages I do not have pics for I will use pics from the net).

Dytiscidae deposit their eggs singly or in small groups, either on the substrate, or into water plants which were previously pierced by the female ovipositor. There are no egg cases for the eggs. Eggs usually hatch within 10 days up to 6 weeks after being laid, but, note this is strongly depending on the temperature of the environment. like the eggs temperature play an important role all immature stages. The first instar usually lasts around 5-7 days (at 20°C), can take as long as a month if temperatures are lower than 14°C. the 2nd instar like the 1st usually lasts only 4–5 days at a temperature of 20°C. likewise it could be longer depending on temperature. the 3rd or final instar lasts another 13–14 days. besides temperature the length of the larval stages depends on the amount of food available to the larvae. Pupation takes place on land, but close to the water, in damp soil, under wood and plants. Actual pupation takes 10 days up to half a year, again depending on the temperature. In the aquarium the ideals of each instar length can be met using a in aquarium heater.

I do not have any pics of eggs and couldn't find any on the net. Here are two of my pics and a pupa pic off the net. hope this helps.

WaterTigerRisingforAir-Ed-11.jpg

Pupaedytiscus-1.jpg

Dytiscus01-Ed-12.jpg

Wow! It sounds like you can raise these up to maturity pretty quickly at warmer temperatures.

The eggs must be pretty difficult to find in nature and even in the tank. Do you usually just indirectly know that you've had eggs because the hatchling larvae appear?

I have some more questions about these that I'll ask in some of the other categories. Thanks for the life cycle details!

Peter

Do you usually just indirectly know that you've had eggs because the hatchling larvae appear?

Exactly, lol. these eggs are very, very small!! just wait till larvae hatch and go from there...