Dorcus titanus titanus

Lucanus

Very nice. I have a D. titanus in my collection (pinned) but it's a different subspecies. Very cool beetle!

Thank you :)

I used to breed this specimen when I was in South Korea but now I can't breed them anymore :(

Nice! I really like the genus Dorcus. This guy was my pet till a few months ago when I left Japan.

post-4628-0-24983100-1326777359_thumb.jpg

He's a Dorcus alcides, and he's got a decent pinch on him too! Managed to draw blood on one occasion. I couldn't hold it against the little fella though. He had a really fun personality. Would be really angsty, and then once he'd got it out of his system he'd be perfectly happy to be picked up and go for a little stroll. Hope he hasn't taken any fingers off the elementary kid I left him to...

post-4628-0-18292600-1326777710_thumb.jpg

Nice! I really like the genus Dorcus. This guy was my pet till a few months ago when I left Japan.

post-4628-0-24983100-1326777359_thumb.jpg

He's a Dorcus alcides, and he's got a decent pinch on him too! Managed to draw blood on one occasion. I couldn't hold it against the little fella though. He had a really fun personality. Would be really angsty, and then once he'd got it out of his system he'd be perfectly happy to be picked up and go for a little stroll. Hope he hasn't taken any fingers off the elementary kid I left him to...

post-4628-0-18292600-1326777710_thumb.jpg

Very nice!!!! You are so lucky to keep the live ones.

I've heard that D. alcides has more mandible strength than D. titanus sp. I've never seen a live specimen before so I don't know if this is true.

I've gotten a hold of some Dorcus larvae (most likely brevis though there are a few different looking ones that could be parallelus). Wish me luck! Dorcus are amazing! Talked to a beetle breeder who confirmed my larvae to be Dorcus. He's sure of it.