A link for people who want to collect D. tityus

Lucanus

This is one of the link that inspired me to collect some D. tityus last year. http://dynastes.20m.com/photo.html

I searched the tree cavitys that resembled the one in the photo and was able to collect 1 pair of D. tityus, and 4 larvae. (Also, I found a molt of D. tityus in a tree cavity where I could trace the trail of D. tityus but no larvae came out :( )

Yes I have visited it a while back and it has some really neat pictures. Similar to you, the photos of the Dynastes grubs got my blood pumped in anticipation for the hunt! Unfortunately I live nowhere near any habitat of those large beetles, so it was a futile arousal. :lol:

Also, what bothers me is that I have heard of the rarity and elusiveness of Megasoma Punctulatus, but in one of the pictures, the guy has a dozen! Is that species truly rare? Or do collectors just don't search in the right places?

Yes I have visited it a while back and it has some really neat pictures. Similar to you, the photos of the Dynastes grubs got my blood pumped in anticipation for the hunt! Unfortunately I live nowhere near any habitat of those large beetles, so it was a futile arousal. :lol:

Also, what bothers me is that I have heard of the rarity and elusiveness of Megasoma Punctulatus, but in one of the pictures, the guy has a dozen! Is that species truly rare? Or do collectors just don't search in the right places?

Unfortunately, I have no experience with M. punctulatus but I believe you can collect quite a lot of them if you hit the right place :)

Thanks for this! Umm... what tools are best for safe extraction and do you suggest any specific models? Cuz I probably need to get new equipment. My knifes, shovels, my pick, and my hatchet are old.

EDIT:

Which tree species is the best to check in?

Thanks for this! Umm... what tools are best for safe extraction and do you suggest any specific models? Cuz I probably need to get new equipment. My knifes, shovels, my pick, and my hatchet are old.

EDIT:

Which tree species is the best to check in?

I never use tools. I use my hands when I am collecting so that I can reduce the loss.

Oak seems to be the best tree.

I never use tools. I use my hands when I am collecting so that I can reduce the loss.

Oak seems to be the best tree.

True. I do use the tools with extracting Dorcus brevis though, because they love hard wood. It's good to know Dynastes like pliable soft wood! Thanks.