Regiarbol

Favorite beetle

Well, it seems this hasn't been posted before so...what kind of beetle is your favorite?

Ok, I'll go first.

I really like Megasoma species, especially Megasoma Occidentalis.

Lucanus capreolus all the way!!!

Dorcus consentaneus consentaneus from South Korea is my favorite species.

Think it'll have to be top 3.

Dynastes hercules hercules

Rosalia batesi

Cyclommatus metallifer (or another related species which I saw in Papua New Guinea)

I think I might vote for Titanus giganteus. I can't think of any beetle species I'd rather see a living specimen of and suspect I'll pursue this dream when I retire in fifteen years to a life of traveling/bug hunting.

As for pet beetles, the blue death feigning beetle is any easy favorite because it is native, active, colorful, harmless, very long-lived and low maintenance.

My favorite that I have some experience with is the Tomarus subtropicus(Sugarcane beetle). They come to our lights in numbers and make alot of stridulation when they are bothered. I have accidentally dug up pupal cells(I thought they were just balled up soil :lol: ) when getting soil for my daughter's community culture of adult T. subtropicus, Scarlet and Bumblebee millies(I can't remember actual names for the millies), Pycnoscelus surinamensis, and snails and slugs. Now, I am trying to raise some grubs that I found. :D

As far as looks, I just can't get over the looks of a dead male Strategus antaeus that a friend found and gave me, so the hunt is on! Hopefully, I will be able to hunt down some grubs cause I like starting with youngsters. :)

I am sure that Asbolus verrucosus will be a new favorite beetle, as we just ordered some from Peter. My daughter and I are so excited and anticipating their arrival.

As far as looks, I just can't get over the looks of a dead male Strategus antaeus that a friend found and gave me, so the hunt is on! Hopefully, I will be able to hunt down some grubs cause I like starting with youngsters. :)

Are you a member of invertebrates-Magazine? In about a month there's a section in an article on collecting Strategus antaeus in Florida.

Are you a member of invertebrates-Magazine? In about a month there's a section in an article on collecting Strategus antaeus in Florida.

Thanks for the info! I am not a member, but I would like to be.

Well, it seems this hasn't been posted before so...what kind of beetle is your favorite?

Ok, I'll go first.

I really like Megasoma species, especially Megasoma Occidentalis.

Florida native Phanaeus vindex, a bit small, but great looking for a poop beetle. :D

Definitely rhino beetles, particularly species such as Allomyrina dichotoma, Xylotrupes gideon and Dynastes tityus. I also have a fondness for stag beetles, though I haven't been fortunate enough to ever keep any species of them.

my favorite exotic would be D.satanas! and native would be M.vogti! not only native to my county but my county!!!