Favorite beetle

Lucanus capreolus all the way!!!

I think I might vote for Titanus giganteus. I can't think of any beetle species I'd rather see a living specimen of and suspect I'll pursue this dream when I retire in fifteen years to a life of traveling/bug hunting.

As for pet beetles, the blue death feigning beetle is any easy favorite because it is native, active, colorful, harmless, very long-lived and low maintenance.

• 3 months later...

My favorite that I have some experience with is the Tomarus subtropicus(Sugarcane beetle). They come to our lights in numbers and make alot of stridulation when they are bothered. I have accidentally dug up pupal cells(I thought they were just balled up soil :lol: ) when getting soil for my daughter's community culture of adult T. subtropicus, Scarlet and Bumblebee millies(I can't remember actual names for the millies), Pycnoscelus surinamensis, and snails and slugs. Now, I am trying to raise some grubs that I found. :D

As far as looks, I just can't get over the looks of a dead male Strategus antaeus that a friend found and gave me, so the hunt is on! Hopefully, I will be able to hunt down some grubs cause I like starting with youngsters. :)

I am sure that Asbolus verrucosus will be a new favorite beetle, as we just ordered some from Peter. My daughter and I are so excited and anticipating their arrival.

• 1 month later...

As far as looks, I just can't get over the looks of a dead male Strategus antaeus that a friend found and gave me, so the hunt is on! Hopefully, I will be able to hunt down some grubs cause I like starting with youngsters. :)

Are you a member of invertebrates-Magazine? In about a month there's a section in an article on collecting Strategus antaeus in Florida.

• 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...