Any tips on breeding this species?

Lucanus

wow those are something aren't they!! i don't think u need any tips judging by the picture looks like they are breeding already lol

They are really cool beetles. They emerge in a great number in my area.

They are so horny that they mount on each other regardless of sexes. lol

Unfortunately, I haven't succeded in breeding the larvae of this species so I want to know how to raise them.

Polyphylla are root feeders, afaik, might that be your problem?

I will have to try to find the paper I was reading the other day... I think it suggested a relationship with pines and this genus with them mostly feeding on grass, shrub, and tree roots?

Polyphylla are root feeders, afaik, might that be your problem?

I will have to try to find the paper I was reading the other day... I think it suggested a relationship with pines and this genus with them mostly feeding on grass, shrub, and tree roots?

Oh.. Buggide.net had some information about the larvae feeding on roots but they didn't tell what species. I've collected this species in the pine forest so I guess I will have to bring some pine into my house. Thank you for the reply. :)

Found the paper :)http://www.sjsu.edu/depts/EnvStudies/pdf/Apickypalate.pdf

Its about a related, and endangered, species...but I believe much of the genus behaves similarly.

Thank you for the paper!!!

I've already found the host plant of P. occidentalis but this article was interesting to read :D