Stag Beetle Larvae?

awesome!

i am kind of confused what kind of substrate to use for them and i cant find any care sheets online for them

and i know people offer dogfood and fruit to dynastes larvae to eat do stags also benefit from this?

I think you should use the same wood that you collected larvae from.

I tried the dog food but it did not work. I ended up with a large amount of mites.

I keep the females in a same container since they aren't really big. However, I keep my males separately to develop large adults.

I have one female that I am keeping in a rotten wood to see the behavior of the larva inside a rotting wood.

ok i have them all seperated and in a substrate of 50% rotting wood and 50% leaf litter

i was unable to get back the logs i found them at but i am hoping this substrate will work well since none of them were found inside a log but under the logs in the soil

is there any way to determine what kind of stags they are? some of them were found miles apart

017-10.jpg

015-10.jpg

014-6.jpg

DeadInTheBasement,

Larvae of the four US Lucanus species look exactly alike. We would either have to:

a. Guess the species by the area of the US you live in

b. Wait until they pupate

Overall, not knowing where you are from I would say (from most to least probable):

L. capreolus

L. elaphus

L. placidus

L. mazama

I have found L. elaphus grubs directly under a rotten pine tree before.

Steven

how'd you find em? I've been looking for L.capreolus larvae for a long time!!! also, why do people have to separate the larvae after finding them?

Actually, just rolling over rotten logs in an area of north Louisiana where they had been found before. I also found one adult male with a blacklight that same night.

Sometimes Stag larvae will attack each other. I have seen one L.c. hatchling kill another hatchling before.

seems these three range here in Tennessee

L. capreolus

L. elaphus

L. placidus

i am hoping for lucanus elaphus but i am thrilled with any of the three :)

i found them directly under HUGE logs(2-3ft thick) and the logs were not very decayed i am guessing they had only been fallen down 2-3 years very deep in the forest

they were all in 4 different locations miles apart all in the same situation

now that i think about it i probably should have separated the larvae when i found them to keep track of which were found together lol

Cre0broter: i know some species of beetle larvae will devour each other given the chance so they are kept separated and peter says being separated will make them grow larger! :) good luck finding larvae i have been looking for these for 3 years but i guess its easy once you find a good location

Use only rotten wood, they are mostly grown so you might not lose most of them, but you're taking a big risk of losing them all.

Larvae of the four US Lucanus species look exactly alike.

No, the sutures on the face are very different. Also the head coloration is different but that's not definitive.

No, the sutures on the face are very different. Also the head coloration is different but that's not definitive.

Hey Orin,

Cool. Is that something you figured out? I will have to take a look at L.c. -vs- L.e. when I get home. Every publication I've found stops at Genus for Lucanus larval ID. I know at least one specifically mentioned an inability to ID beyond that.

Do you have all four sp. figured? We need a: Larval Descriptions of Four Species of Lucanus Scopoli 1763 (Coleoptera: Lucanidae) with a Key for Identification: O. McMonigle

It's something I noticed years ago but I assumed it was something already documented. When you see them you'll see the sutures are notably different. Take some good, straight-on shots of your larvae and we'll see about putting together that article. However, I'm sure we won't find Pseudolucanus placidus larvae.

Hey Orin,

Cool. Is that something you figured out? I will have to take a look at L.c. -vs- L.e. when I get home. Every publication I've found stops at Genus for Lucanus larval ID. I know at least one specifically mentioned an inability to ID beyond that.

Do you have all four sp. figured? We need a: Larval Descriptions of Four Species of Lucanus Scopoli 1763 (Coleoptera: Lucanidae) with a Key for Identification: O. McMonigle

Hey Orin,

What I noticed with my larvae are that L. elaphus larvae have more curved mandibles while L. capreolus larvae have a really straight mandibles. I need to check my larvae to see more difference.