Eleodes (Blapylis) sp. "ID"

Hisserdude

One of the cutest Eleodes species here in Idaho, unfortunately I have yet to get an ID beyond subgenus, (which, given the number of species in that subgenus and the fact that many of them look so similar to each other, isn't that surprising). Easy to breed and rear, prolific too, makes for a great beginner's Eleodes IMO. :D

E.sp.Blapylis%25237.JPG

E.sp.Blapylis%252310.JPG

E.sp.Blapylis%252311.JPG

E.sp.Blapylis%252312.JPG

Great photos!

I remember seeing a lot of quite large Eleodes in the desert of southern New Mexico (White Sands area), years ago.  They were probably either E. acuta or E. suturalis.  I wonder if either of those species have been successfully bred in captivity?

12 hours ago, Goliathus said:

Great photos!

I remember seeing a lot of quite large Eleodes in the desert of southern New Mexico (White Sands area), years ago.  They were probably either E. acuta or E. suturalis.  I wonder if either of those species have been successfully bred in captivity?

Thanks! 😁

E.suturalis has been bred in captivity successfully, apparently they aren't too picky about their oviposition substrate, and survival rates of the larvae and pupae are high. I don't know of anyone who's bred E.acuta yet, wouldn't imagine they'd be too difficult to reproduce though. The main problem with the larger Eleodes is that many of their pre-pupal larvae and pupae hate excess moisture in their pupation substrate, and this can lead to high mortality rates during those stages. Keeping their pupation cups well ventilated and making sure the substrate is just moist enough to hold it's shape seems to work best.