Sign in to follow this  
Bugoodle

Packaging Beetles For Shipment..

I could use some help. Whats the best cooling pack? I've found some cold packs online, ones sold on bug sites, but they only last 24 hours! I ship via Priority Mail usps which takes between 1-3 days delivery. I found one that last 96 hours, and  keeps the temps at 2-8 celsius but they are like  $600! Any one have any ideas? I don't want the beetles to bake! 

Thanks for help!

You don’t typically need it. Pack it in a box with paper padded in all sides, and make sure it gets there in 3 days. 

Have been using these for years without any issues; available at most dollar stores, in various sizes - 

large_915d8a6a-4ed2-4bc0-bca4-3edeb0fbdd
e30107abdbd13665812d008379663c4b_large.p

Thanks guys! What substrate should I put in the containers with the bugs? I'm focusing on bess beetles, rice beetles(scarab), and tiger beetles. I got millipedes in dirt(one dead), and BIC's Harlequin Flower beetle in a cup with a dry paper towel(I guess it dried out.. Harlequin Beetle came alive and well though.)

Yeah you really don't need it, Stepp Goins sent me some larvae and they arrived very safe without a hot or cold pack.

If it's hot out, you'll wanna make sure they got good lid and maybe side ventilation, and not to soak the shipping medium. Poor ventilation, high humidity and very high temps lead to steam-cooked inverts. 

A lot depends on the temperature of where you are sending it and the temperature of where you are sending it from. If it's very hot, like above 90, it's better to send it Express Mail so it gets there in 1 or 2 days max with a cold pack in an insulated box. I don't think any regular cold pack (maybe the one the cost $600, wow) will last more than 2 days. Peter sends all his live stuff when its hot via Express with a regular cold pack. You can chance it sending it via Priority but I have found sometimes its ok and sometimes its not. That is just my experience but it appears others have had no problems so I guess it just depends. 

Peter sends way more stuff than we will ever will so I assume he knows from experience.

And just FYI, USPS Priority mail has been having delays lately. Read this link for more info:

https://faq.usps.com/s/article/USPS-Coronavirus-Updates-Expected-Delivery-Changes?r=8&ui-force-components-controllers-recordGlobalValueProvider.RecordGvp.getRecord=1

Ok, thanks. Wish I already did my bug hunt. Tomarrow is 90 degrees and the rest of the week is 88 degrees with thunderstorms every day. That might of kept things cooler. Maybe all the storms will result in a cool front next week, and I need to get those ice packs.

So I should keep my containers more dry? I totally understand heat and humidity thing. Can I add at least some quencher jell if they get thirsty?