Sign in to follow this  
Bugoodle

What's the best lures for Eastern Hercules Beetle and Grapevine Beetle?

Both are native to my location, but are a rare sight. I've used beer, grapes, and other fruit, but any scarabs I get are rice and sugarcane beetles. Anything else besides UV lights that would attract them?

Thanks!

The best thing for bringing in those two species is a UV light set-up.  Lucanus elaphus and L. capreolus will also come to UV.  Strategus spp. too, along with countless other beetle genera.

Thanks! I use a UV, but it's a bug zapper. It hangs over a stand. Luckly, the protector  bars are too small for most beetles to even climb through. A few years back I did get a grapevine beetle, under the bug zapper stand, but as of now, even with new tastier lures nothing! It was just a fluke that  year. What wattage of a UV bulb is recommended? Will UVA bulbs work? Is a white flood light good? I see that Hercules beetles enjoy buzzing around big white lights in parking lots. 

The light given off by true UV tubes, like those described in my post, isn't especially bright.  It's far more visible to insects, than to people.