D. tityus has a far larger geographical range, and that in itself increases its availability.

Also, in comparison to granti, tityus has a longer adult life expectancy on average, a usually faster larval cycle (1 year instead of 1.5 to 2 years), and according to some, is simply easier to rear.  D. granti is just as impressive a beetle, though.  Probably the biggest difference to take into consideration when rearing these two species is that tityus lives at low elevation, while granti lives higher (mountainous areas of AZ, UT and NM, at around 5000-6000 ft).

40 minutes ago, Goliathus said:

D. tityus has a far larger geographical range, and that in itself increases its availability.

Also, in comparison to granti, tityus has a longer adult life expectancy on average, a usually faster larval cycle (1 year instead of 1.5 to 2 years), and according to some, is simply easier to rear.  D. granti is just as impressive a beetle, though.  Probably the biggest difference to take into consideration when rearing these two species is that tityus lives at low elevation, while granti lives higher (mountainous areas of AZ, UT and NM, at around 5000-6000 ft).

I was thinking that too, D. tityus has a larger range, and inhabits areas with denser populations of humans. 

Is there a reason D. grantii takes longer to become an adult?

I was curious on the longevity myself, and found a scientific note Frank-Thorsten Krell, Victoria H. I. Krell "Longevity of the Western Hercules Beetle"

that references that the longevity of both species may actually be quite similar in captivity. I have also read some other articles that mention that captive specimens of D. grantii seem to have a lifespan comparable of D. tityus.

I was thinking that too, D. tityus has a larger range, and inhabits areas with denser populations of humans. 

Is there a reason D. grantii takes longer to become an adult?

They typically seemed to take longer for me, but that's just been my own experience.

I was curious on the longevity myself, and found a scientific note Frank-Thorsten Krell, Victoria H. I. Krell "Longevity of the Western Hercules Beetle" that references that the longevity of both species may actually be quite similar in captivity. I have also read some other articles that mention that captive specimens of D. grantii seem to have a lifespan comparable of D. tityus.

My own work with granti isn't nearly as extensive as with tityus, and perhaps someone else here might be able to offer more insight on granti's average lifespan in captivity?