10 Lined June Beetle Rearing

11 hours ago, Briareo said:

Has anyone had any experience rearing the 10 lined june beetle? If so does anyone have any tips on catching them?

That would be a great beetle to breed, but like most melolonthine scarabs, the larvae feed exclusively on live plant roots, and it would likely be quite difficult to maintain the right conditions for rearing in captivity.  Also, the larval cycle of this species can take up to 4 years!

2 minutes ago, Briareo said:

Hot damn! How long is their life as imagos? 

Live roots could perhaps be mimicked? Something similar to mung bean saplings? 

Adults only live for a few weeks; not much longer than a month, probably.

I think the larvae feed mainly on the roots of trees and shrubs.

I'd recommend Chrysina (Jewel Scarabs) as a more practical rearing project than Polyphylla.  I've reared three of the four US Chrysina species; the larvae feed on decayed wood, just like those of Dynastinae, Cetoniinae & Lucanidae, and only take a year to complete to complete their life cycle (although, a percentage of larvae have a two-year cycle, instead of one).

12 minutes ago, Lucanus said:

Someone told me that they've been bred and reared in captivity by using clover sprouts and bird seeds. Took them 4~5 years to rear the larvae to adulthood. 

If it's going to take around half a decade to rear some Polyphylla decemlineata that are only going to live for a few weeks as adults, I can think of a great many other beetles that would be much more worthwhile to keep!

• 2 weeks later...

2 correct  answers have been given here: Bird seeds and carrots

BUT young stages also eats humus/decaying matters

I am currently trying to breed Polyphylla Fullo, our biggest and most beautifull melolonthine scarabs

For fullo something like 60%  of the substrate must be sand 

Can't believe a second that in good breeding conditions larval cycle will be 4-5 years

Elvfullo6.jpg