Sign in to follow this  
Ratmosphere

AZ Trip

Going to Pheonix AZ to get tattooed mid December. Will there be any beetles I can search for? Or are they not found that time of year?

In December? Maybe some dung beetle relatives like Aphodiinae, Geotrupidae, Bolboceratidae, etc. or any decomposers like Silphidae kinds... AND probably depending on the collection sites. It looks like some locations in Arizona gets HEAVY snows. Is there any particular reason that you are going out of state to get tattoo...??

I usually always do, fly out to the artists I want to collect work from. No chance for D. grantii? Heard they're mostly found in Payson and wondering if theres a chance they can be found in Pheonix. 

Phoenix is tooooo city-like place to collect scarabs. I'm sure you can find one or two, but would you collect one or two or rather collect over 10 in Payson? I don't think they are still alive and actively flying and feeding right now, but Payson is only an hour driving away from Phoenix. 

You're not likely to find much in December, despite our mild winters. Maybe some darkling beetles. Payson is a good locale for D. grantii, but not in December, and you're almost definitely not going to find D. grantii anywhere in Phoenix regardless of the time of year.