ID

These were both found in Michigan.

The female was found in a friend's house and the male was found outside another friend's house about 5 miles away. Are they the same species? Does the female look like she's physically capable of breeding/ has eggs? (She looks a little "old n' ragged" to me)

47041658.jpg

61287621.jpg

55161107.jpg

14557174.jpg

Pseudolucanus capreolus. The only other Pseudolucanus in Michigan is P. placidus which is dark brown and has more teeth. I had a ragged Pseudolucanus capreolus produce a number of eggs whereas I've gotten none from some pristine females at times.

Pseudolucanus capreolus. The only other Pseudolucanus in Michigan is P. placidus which is dark brown and has more teeth. I had a ragged Pseudolucanus capreolus produce a number of eggs whereas I've gotten none from some pristine females at times.

What do the eggs look like and how long until I notice babies? :o

Awesome find, Zephyr and good luck!

The eggs are small and white, slightly oblong. You can't really miss them when you find them. Bury some hunks of soft wood in your substrate and don't let the cage become too dry. I'd guess babies were a few months off, but Orin would know better than I. I suspect the eggs take a month or so to hatch, once laid.

Get out there and set some lights up in that same habitat and draw some more in! They hobby needs you to be successful with these!

Awesome find, Zephyr and good luck!

The eggs are small and white, slightly oblong. You can't really miss them when you find them. Bury some hunks of soft wood in your substrate and don't let the cage become too dry. I'd guess babies were a few months off, but Orin would know better than I. I suspect the eggs take a month or so to hatch, once laid.

Get out there and set some lights up in that same habitat and draw some more in! They hobby needs you to be successful with these!

Well, the female just died. ):

She looked old and ragged; I'd guess she was probably a little over a year old. The male's alive and kickin' though!

Hopefully I can find some more; A recently molted female would help greatly. :P

Tell your friends in that area to head out to rural areas on moonless nights where bright, white lights occur alone.

Usually once a year we have a big bug night where we stay up 24/7 with a couple of UV lights on. I'll have to arrange it for sooner than usual this year! :)

Also, I recall seeing a female many, many years ago right by my house near a big street light. I checked the area the other day and realized that right next to the light is a big lot full of old wood chips... If I dig threw there would I find larvae? Or would they be deeper down feeding on plant roots near the wood?

• 1 month later...

next June/July I will put out lights to try to attract these guys, I love this species. Is the scientfic name Lucanus capreolus or Pseudolucanus capreolus? there seems to be controversy over this...