Resting period for new imagos?

Hello all. I'm very new to beetles, so forgive my ignorance. I couldn't find the info I'm looking for on Google. I currently have 6 Dynastes beetles in various stages, including 2 female and 1 male imago that emerged within the past two weeks. They are in a 10 gallon aquarium with 4" of substrate that I use for my roaches (coco fiber, leaf litter, organic compost, rotted wood, hardwood flake soil, etc.). So far they have remained buried and are not eating. I have offered real maple syrup, beetle jelly, apples and mangos. They only come out when I get them out, and they are very lethargic. They're being kept in my bug room, which averages 80-82 F.

It was suggested to me that there is a "resting period" for these beetles after becoming imago. I was led to believe that resting period is 6-8 weeks for my particular species (think BIG). Is this true? Will they come out of the soil and start eating after resting? 

Each individual specimen takes different amount of time of that "resting period" you are talking about. This differs per species, of course.

Genus Dynastes currently contains 17 species with three subspecies. I don't know WHAT you are keeping in your aquarium, but each species and individual may have all different time, and stay away from food as long as they would like to. In my past experience, some of Dynastes tityus took over six-months until starting to feed on beetle jellies.

What you should do is to place beetle jellies every once in a while. Place one jelly weekly or biweekly. That way you won't have to worry about the beetle starves to death.

AND yes, once they finish that particular period of time, they will be more active out of substrate.

Thank you for this info. I received the eggs under one name. Waiting until the full coloration develops to verify it is said species. I can say that it is a large species, so I'll expect it to take some time.... or at least not get too impatient!

If I do handle them during this "resting" period, will it complicate things down the road? I do like to dig them out once a week and check on them. 

On 6/11/2019 at 1:55 PM, Axolotl said:

Thank you for this info. I received the eggs under one name. Waiting until the full coloration develops to verify it is said species. I can say that it is a large species, so I'll expect it to take some time.... or at least not get too impatient!

If I do handle them during this "resting" period, will it complicate things down the road? I do like to dig them out once a week and check on them. 

Depending on species, some may just decides to go die when handled, some should be fine. D. tityus seemed okay, but I rarely ever touch even if it is past that period.