Baby rhino roaches! (AGAIN!)

On 9/7/2019 at 5:34 PM, arizonablue said:

Some more photos of the growing little roaches! I bothered them to count babies again today - all sixteen are still happy and healthy and most of them look like they're about to molt again. I recently got a photo of one of them barely out of the old exoskeleton. Later this month I'm going to begin transferring the babies to their own container, probably a few at a time to avoid stressing out the mother with a suddenly empty nest. She's been doing such a great job of raising her little ones. :)

Congratulations, happy to see they're all doing fine still! :D

For a couple of days I thought I'd lost one of the little buggers to a bad molt or something, because I could only find fifteen. Number sixteen must have been well hidden somewhere, because when I removed mama roach today and counted, there they all were! Two are taking their time with the latest molt but look like they might pop out any day now. 

And if anyone is going to be at the Tucson Reptile Expo coming up on October 5-6, these little guys will be available for purchase. PM me for details if you're interested!

roach babies.JPG

• 4 months later...
11 hours ago, davehuth said:

Any further updates on this successful project? 🙂 

It isn't a very interesting update, I'm afraid! I sold the babies, with the exception of one sexed pair that I kept for myself. They seem to know it's winter now even though we're in the still-rather-warm desert, and both the pair of babies and the parents are spending all their time holed up beneath the coco fiber. Haven't seen them in weeks, although I can peek under their container to check on the babies and I hear the parents rustling around in their hide. Hopefully mating! I've got my fingers crossed for another batch of babies in late spring/early summer. 

• 2 months later...

Really great post !!!

Whatever you do DO NOT feed them Carrots !!!

22 hours ago, stagtacus said:

Really great post !!!

Whatever you do DO NOT feed them Carrots !!!

Why? Mine have been munching on carrots happily for a couple months now.

Ok

Because my died in extended time

On 4/19/2020 at 2:03 AM, stagtacus said:

Ok

Because my died in extended time

I have raised them from hatchling to adult while providing carrots as an ancillary food (to help prevent them from drying out if I forget to water for too long).

Well OK !

THANKS for the Confirmation !!

• 1 month later...

I am pleased to announce that there is a second batch of babies! I tried to count - I think there's 20ish. I've been expecting the birth for about two weeks now, she was HUGE and looked about to pop. Four more nymphs than last time and a week earlier. :D The male has been relocated already and mama roach is hard at work keeping her little ones warm. Last time she had them in the hide, but this year she chose the corner of the tank. 

roachbabies.JPG

• arizonablue changed the title to Baby rhino roaches! (AGAIN!)
17 hours ago, arizonablue said:

I am pleased to announce that there is a second batch of babies! I tried to count - I think there's 20ish. I've been expecting the birth for about two weeks now, she was HUGE and looked about to pop. Four more nymphs than last time and a week earlier. :D The male has been relocated already and mama roach is hard at work keeping her little ones warm. Last time she had them in the hide, but this year she chose the corner of the tank. 

roachbabies.JPG

Congrats, that's awesome, so happy to hear it! :D They're so adorable! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2020 at 2:58 AM, arizonablue said:

roachbabies.JPG

What a stunning sight. :DCongrats! 

• 3 months later...

Baby roach update! The nymphs are going through another molt. I've attached photos of a freshly molted nymph, comparing it to an already molted one as well as one that looks like its ready to pop any moment. :D You can also see how small they still are compared to mama roach!

IMG_4555.jpg

IMG_4556.jpg

IMG_4559.jpg

• 2 months later...