Peter

Peter Clausen

Hello,

I just wanted to write a quick intro to kick off this category. I just opened the beetle forum because I believe there are a lot of beetle enthusiasts who might like a place to exchange information about this most diverse group of bugs. We used the template from the Mantidforum to create this website. If anybody has suggestions for other categories, please feel free to share them.

If the forum doesn't take hold, we'll just try another bug group, but I really enjoy beetles and hope to help create a neat community for others who appreciate their very significant place on our planet. So, consider this a trial run at a beetle forum. If you would like to see this community grow, help us out by sharing our link with other enthusiasts around the world!

Thank you,

Peter

I've been interested in beetles for as long as I remember. Really excited about this forum. I've some experience in rearing beetles but there is always room for improvement. If you have any questions drop me a line. Looking forward to seeing this forum take off!

Joel

Mainly E.smithi and E.tilineata, a Ranzania sp.(red with white spots), and M.ugandensis. Not much. How about you Peter what have you raised? You are also the author of the phasmid book, yes? Any other books you'll be writing?

Hi Joel,

Thanks for joining! I'd like to hear what beetles you've raised.

Peter

Due to the regulations on beetles here in the US, I've raised very little, beetle-wise. That doesn't mean I don't absolutely love beetles and want to raise them all, though.

I don't have a lot of experience raising things to a second generation, but here are a few species that I have kept as pets over the years for at least a partial generation. Many of these were wild caught (not checking my spelling on these, by the way)

D. granti

D. tityus

Plusiotis gloriosa (Chrysina gloriosa) and the two other Arizona Chrysina

I currently have an Omus dejeani Tiger Beetle

Green Tinfoil beetles (Potosia, I think)

Goliathus orientalis

Several Strategus species

A few Asian stags: Dorcus spp., Cyclommatus, Prosopocoilus

Palmetto Weevils from Florida

Colorful, metallic and polka dotted weevils from Asia (don't recall species)

various non-descript wild caught tenebrionids and death-feigning

Calosoma, Pasimachus ground beetles

Devil's Coach Horse

Oh, a few Eudicella and

and a bunch others that I just kept for fun but don't necessarily remember. Here's a link to my (very old, now) beetle pages:

http://bugsincyberspace.com/beetles.html

http://bugsincyberspace.com/coleoptera.html

Thanks for asking!

Orin is the resident author and writes all the Elytra and Antenna books. I made some contributions to the phasmid book and he was nice enough to throw my name on it. I like to think I've raised more phasmid species than anybody else in the history of the US. At one time it was true, though I'm not sure anymore. Like beetles, that's one hobby the regulations are restrictive on. I dropped out of the phasmid hobby after 9/11 and haven't imported a single bug, since then. However, I still keep a few phasmids for personal enjoyment and to show at schools, but I don't exchange or share stock anymore.

Peter

Hey Peter,

Yeah I know I don't have any more beetles just don't have the time. Yeah I've a few roaches now and a couple of t's. I had some phasmids as well at one time and I enjoyed them as well. Used to keep E.calcarata, P.giganteum, and H.dilatata. They were great and I believe that I sparked interest in inverts in many of my colleagues. Your phasmid pages were some of my favorite web searches. Great info on ova size and nymph/adult pics. What do you still keep?

Joel

Due to the regulations on beetles here in the US, I've raised very little, beetle-wise. That doesn't mean I don't absolutely love beetles and want to raise them all, though.

I don't have a lot of experience raising things to a second generation, but here are a few species that I have kept as pets over the years for at least a partial generation. Many of these were wild caught (not checking my spelling on these, by the way)

D. granti

D. tityus

Plusiotis gloriosa (Chrysina gloriosa) and the two other Arizona Chrysina

I currently have an Omus dejeani Tiger Beetle

Green Tinfoil beetles (Potosia, I think)

Goliathus orientalis

Several Strategus species

A few Asian stags: Dorcus spp., Cyclommatus, Prosopocoilus

Palmetto Weevils from Florida

Colorful, metallic and polka dotted weevils from Asia (don't recall species)

various non-descript wild caught tenebrionids and death-feigning

Calosoma, Pasimachus ground beetles

Devil's Coach Horse

Oh, a few Eudicella and

and a bunch others that I just kept for fun but don't necessarily remember. Here's a link to my (very old, now) beetle pages:

http://bugsincyberspace.com/beetles.html

http://bugsincyberspace.com/coleoptera.html

Thanks for asking!

Orin is the resident author and writes all the Elytra and Antenna books. I made some contributions to the phasmid book and he was nice enough to throw my name on it. I like to think I've raised more phasmid species than anybody else in the history of the US. At one time it was true, though I'm not sure anymore. Like beetles, that's one hobby the regulations are restrictive on. I dropped out of the phasmid hobby after 9/11 and haven't imported a single bug, since then. However, I still keep a few phasmids for personal enjoyment and to show at schools, but I don't exchange or share stock anymore.

Peter

• 1 month later...

Hello Peter and all

I read that you "just opened" this new forum - congrats for the step!!

Here in Germany we also just started with the "Internationales Kaeferforum".

There was (and still is) an older forum but the admins didn't have activity any more,

so the step to the new forum was necessary.

The last days we had a discussion about the "language". With the name "international"

German pherhaps is not the "first choice". Some friends from denmark and france,

german speaking and so salready joined in, wished an english navigation and communication.

But for some german friends with less english knowledge this step might be too big.

So currently a translator is available and our admin Chris installed an ENGLISH CORNER.

There are a lot of people with very good knowledge in beetles in our forum, so in my opinion

it can be also very interesting for you. E.g in the part "Bestandslisten", the german word

for "stocklist", you can find some impressive collections of the breeders. I think you

easily will find this althoug if you do not speak german!

There is also a lot of breeding information available, but still only in german.

the link to the forum:

logo_anmelden.gif

and espacially to the ENGLISH CORNER:

English Corner of Kaeferforum

It might be helpfull for our decision regarding the language, if some foreign people would write some comment

to our english corner. More non german members means faster translation of all infos I think.

Okay. Again congrats for your forum (I'll visit often) and pherhaps we can build an international beelte-network

Martin from Germany (near of Nuremberg)

• 1 year later...