Visitor on my patio

arizonablue

Nice! That's a very pretty specimen.

Also, good on you for picking them up without gloves :lol: mine would always open their jaws and since their faces naturally point down I was always sure they were about to bite me.

3 hours ago, PowerHobo said:

Nice! That's a very pretty specimen.

Also, good on you for picking them up without gloves :lol: mine would always open their jaws and since their faces naturally point down I was always sure they were about to bite me.

Haha, thanks! I'm pretty sure they could give a good nip if they wanted to, since it must take some pretty powerful jaws to chew up a cactus, but none of mine have ever tried to bite me. This one wasn't thrilled about being picked up at first, but it protested by squeaking instead of chomping. 

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Mantisfan101 said:

How’d you pick it up without gloves?! I found a tile horned prionus at my porch light and it acted like my thumb was a huge sausage!

I picked it up by the thorax, the little spikes actually make it easy to grab. :) Then I just set it down on my hand. None of the cactus longhorns I had ever bit me. The only beetles that have ever nipped me have all been blue death-feigners.

11 hours ago, arizonablue said:

The only beetles that have ever nipped me have all been blue death-feigners.

That's funny! I've never received any nibbles from my BDFBs. Then again none of my BDFBs have the sense of self-preservation to feign death, either. 😂