Sign in to follow this  
markjfisher

UV LED flashlights

Has anyone else tried using UV LED flashlights as collecting lights? I picked one up on amazon that is pretty bright with 100 LEDs in it, and it seems to have worked decently well. I haven’t been in terribly productive areas for Black lighting so it is hard to tell how well it is actually working. They are terribly convenient to carry around, being completely self contained and relatively durable. Any other thoughts/comments?

On 6/25/2018 at 10:56 PM, markjfisher said:

Any other thoughts/comments?

Seems like a good setup; in the right places I have seen giant moths and fancy beetles flying to white and even yellow wall lamps, so a UV should not disappoint 

I have one of those lightsabers. Pink was the only color available when I got mine. Flashlights are good for lighting up things like scorpions but these aren't as effective for bringing in beetles and moths in my experience.

I just happened to read this post while searching other stuffs, and decided to participate in this old post.

Any light can attract insects. Smartphone LED Flash can attract insects, just the brightness of the phone screen can attract some insects. However, that's just couple specimens right next to you. You won't be able to ACTUALLY attract anything far from your location. LEDs that states it is a blacklight is usually a fake, especially in forms of flashlight. They are just blue-purple colored LED bulbs, imitating the blacklight. The BLACKLIGHT is not about color of light. It is about the wavelength it emits. If I remember correctly, anything that emits wavelength between 200 nm to 400 nm are considered UV, and the wavelength that attracts most insects is somewhere 360 nm (can't remember the exact number).

LEDs generally do not emits any UV at all, so using an LED light to collect insects is simply a waste of money. Now days, there are some insect attracting LEDs available in the market, but according to what I read, it is so terrible compared to light traps used with HID lamps. SO I think an insect happened to fly around that exact spot sat on the light and sheet, instead of actually attracting insects far from the trap. If you cannot afford HID lamps, portable generator, and all other necessary setup, just try using battery-powered fluorescent lamps with blacklight tubes replaced. Use that in heavily forested land where no lights are within the radius of a mile. That should do so much better than that 100-leds flashlight you have.

https://ebay.com/itm/270415596824
This is not a bad choice of selection. I used two of this with one replacing the tube with blacklight tube. This is battery operated, and very light that you can carry in a hand or in a backpack.