C gloriosa emerged

Garin

I had a few C gloriosa emerge this last week. They can came out perfect which actually was a little bit of a surprise because I had a few die in the very late L3 stage. Chyrsina for me, just seems a little more difficult than the others like Dynastes, Strategus, Lucanus, Megasoma, etc.

Does anyone know how long it takes before they eat and mate? I assume it's pretty quick? Thanks.

gloriosa%20emerge.jpg

I would provide them with Juniper cuttings now if they've already come up to the surface. They'll eat a lot of it if they're ready to start feeding.
They prefer the tender, new growth.

When I kept them, most of mine perished in the late third instar before they made pupal cells and then it looked like some more had died in the process of ecdysing into a pupa when I checked on the ones that did not emerge. None of the ones that failed to emerge had died as pupae.

On 5/17/2018 at 7:05 PM, Shade of Eclipse said:

I would provide them with Juniper cuttings now if they've already come up to the surface. They'll eat a lot of it if they're ready to start feeding.
They prefer the tender, new growth.

When I kept them, most of mine perished in the late third instar before they made pupal cells and then it looked like some more had died in the process of ecdysing into a pupa when I checked on the ones that did not emerge. None of the ones that failed to emerge had died as pupae.

Hi Shade, great to hear from you as always.

I'll be sure to add the fresh Juniper especially the tender, new growth. Fortunately I have a few big Junipers in my yard.

It does seem like Chrysina is a bit more challenging than the other US species that are commonly raised. I have heard from a couple of breeders that C beyeri is a  big challenge to get to pupate. 

Anybody get C beyeri to successfully pupate? I have asked this question before and I received no responses so I assume the answer is no. I am going to get the 3 different Chrysinas this summer from Arizona so I'm going to give it a try. Do you have any suggestions on what I might try?

Thanks,

Garin

11 hours ago, Garin said:

Hi Shade, great to hear from you as always.

I'll be sure to add the fresh Juniper especially the tender, new growth. Fortunately I have a few big Junipers in my yard.

It does seem like Chrysina is a bit more challenging than the other US species that are commonly raised. I have heard from a couple of breeders that C beyeri is a  big challenge to get to pupate. 

Anybody get C beyeri to successfully pupate? I have asked this question before and I received no responses so I assume the answer is no. I am going to get the 3 different Chrysinas this summer from Arizona so I'm going to give it a try. Do you have any suggestions on what I might try?

Thanks,

Garin

Pretty sure Orin did.

Do you have his Ultimate Guide?

2 hours ago, Stag Beetles said:

I Love This Species!!!!  Do you have any for sale??

Yes, the colors are amazing. Do you need larvae or adults? I should have more adults soon as they emerge but I'm not sure how to sex them. Life still overwhelming in the Amazon? :)

18 hours ago, Garin said:

Yes, I do.

Unfortunately no detailed information on dealing with the difficulties of C beyeri.

On his rusty website (Elytra and Antenna) he says that Beyer's scarab "usually becomes an adult in less than 1 year from ova being laid", suggesting that the book instructions worked well for rearing beyeri.

http://www.angelfire.com/oh3/elytraandantenna/USIUSInsec

On 5/23/2018 at 1:14 AM, Garin said:

Yes, the colors are amazing. Do you need larvae or adults? I should have more adults soon as they emerge but I'm not sure how to sex them. Life still overwhelming in the Amazon? :)

I might try larvae, but I will be gone during the summer though.